( 03. ) Joseph

Pouring him some more water into his cup, a proud mother beamed at her son, giddy at his return from his betrothed's household. Traditionally, a couple who were pledged to one another must wait a whole year without seeing each other until the wedding day, but exceptions could be made. Luckily for Joseph, Mary had gone out with her sisters and her mother, so he had the opportunity to speak to Joachim about what he'd overheard.

The father of his bride-to-be was very fond of him, as were most of the townspeople in Nazareth, and found it especially delightful when Joseph called on him. Taller and significantly darker than his olive-skinned future son-in-law, Joachim seemed intimidating with his bushy brow and thick facial hair, but inside was a compassionate man with a pious heart and a great sense of duty, both of which his eldest daughter had inherited.

The gossip about Zechariah had turned out to be true; the priest was now mute. He'd even exiled himself at his little country home in Hebron with his wife Elisheba— who was Mary's cousin. Whether this was a punishment from God, Joachim did not know. However, he'd turned to prayer and planned on consulting the local rabbi to see if there was anything that could help Zechariah's current plight.

"I cannot believe my third son has grown up so fast," Jacob said while scoffing down a piece of fresh-baked bread. "It only seemed like yesterday that you were crawling all around the house, running away from your mother who was trying to bathe you."

His wife ruffled one of her younger son's curly raven hair before kneeling down at the table to partake in the meal. "A real hare this one, madly jumping around. Thank the Lord that his father is a carpenter, otherwise all of that energy would have been wasted!"

Joseph blushed in modesty. "I'm not the only energetic one in this family. Have you seen Yekushiel and Adinah when they play-fight? Why, both are like lion cubs!"

"Yes," his only sister confidently puffed her chest, "a victorious lion cub. Yekushiel is no worthy opponent for my level of skill."

The unworthy opponent in question competitively smirked. "Is that a challenge? Because I'll be more than willing for a rematch."

"Only after dinner, children," their eema intervened, de-escalating the situation.

Joseph laughed to himself, looking at his now empty plate. Though the prospect of starting a completely new family made him a little anxious, there was no doubt that he would bring the same ambiance he had with his nuclear family to his future family. Something told him that his life with Mary would be idyllic beyond his wildest imagination.

In that moment, Joseph could not wait to get married.

▄▄▄