( 09. ) Joseph

"I'm strongly considering a divorce," Joseph told the rabbi, quietly so that his voice would not resonate in the synagogue.

A lot had changed over the course of only two days; gossip had gone rife in Nazareth, wise elders called on Jacob at his home several times in a day to discuss the 'sickening matter' that was Mary's pregnancy, all marriage arrangements had been halted and Joseph now had to make a crucial decision.

While the revelation that his bethroted conceived a child before their impending union had profoundly hurt him, the young carpenter still wanted to spare the girl from humiliation, expulsion and even death. As he'd revised his options, Joseph concluded that the best thing to do was to cancel their engagement. That way, all Mary had to do was leave town and wed the man who was the father to her child.

As for the house, Joseph decided that he would finish what he started and save his construction for his true wife. Even if he had once imagined that Mary was his destined partner, Joseph begrudgingly accepted this new change of plans, trying to bury his saltiness under a cloak of resignation.

His family, however, were outraged by his fiancée's recklessness and deemed she'd 'always lacked virtue, but thought she could hide it' from them. His poor eema was saddened when she learned the news, having been so excited to receive Mary into their circle. His father had reacted in pure shock at first, but then anger and shame coursed through him and lead his actions. None of his siblings knew of Mary's condition and they intended to keep it that way.

But all of it came back to Joseph; only he had the power to make things right.

Or so he thought.

▄▄▄