( 07. ) Joseph

The young carpenter almost jumped out of his clothes when a large hand unexpectedly gripped his forearm as he was resuming the construction of his future home. Clasping him was none other than Shem, the eldest of their town's wise men. Half-blind, his eyes projected a wildness that he had never seen from him before; his lips were cracked and his nails exceptionally long, digging into his bare flesh.

"My dear boy, you have no possible idea of the dismay and repulsion I feel on your behalf," Shem gravely told him as if he was reciting a bad predicament. "It is a shame you must live through such an embarrassing time. Rest assured that justice will be served."

Joseph only stared at him, profoundly confused by his ominous words. "Pardon? What is this that you are talking about? Why should I be disgusted?"

The elder was taken aback. "They haven't told you?"

"Told me what?"

The wise man scrutinized the young tsaddik, trying to decipher whether he was jesting or not. Alas, as Joseph grew increasingly uncomfortable, it became clear that he truly had no clue of the recent happenings that had taken their town by storm.

"You must come with me," Shem said.

"But I—" Joseph protested, but was already being pulled away from his travail and towards a gathering under the village's tree.

There, a group of two other elder men, three middle-aged ones and a single elder woman were all engaged in a string of noisy chatter, expressively gesticulating with their hands and rapidly speaking in their native tongue. Once they saw him being dragged in by Shem, the small crowd immediately quieted. An awkward ambiance had plagued them all, piquing Joseph's curiosity even more.

"You might want to sit down for this, boy," Shem whispered into his ear.

▄▄▄