( 11. ) Joseph

Hannah's eyes grew wide at the sight of him; never would she have expected to see Joseph, of all people, standing at their front door, seeking to speak with Joachim about none other than Mary.

Hurrying inside his bethroted's dwelling, he wasted no time in finding her father sitting at his dining table, legs crossed. In front of him was a little leather pouch tied up with a tiny rope. Joseph knew exactly what it contained and what Joachim was planning to do with it. Silently, he sat across the burly patriarch.

"It was nice while it lasted," Mary's father gravely said, pushing the pouch further away from him. "You can now use it for something worth while."

Joseph shook his head. "Thank you, but I am not here to claim what is rightfully yours and your daughter's."

This made Joachim frown. "Oh?"

"Indeed," the carpenter continued, "the Lord granted me a vision last night. I saw his angels; they told me of Mary's mission and I was reminded of Prophet Isaiah's prophecy."

"That a king is to be issued from our people and lead us to glory... What does that have to do with my daughter?"

"Can't you see? She has been anointed by God, she will fulfill His promise."

Joachim gawked at the tsaddik in pure disbelief. "You must be out of your mind if you actually believe—"

"The God of David has spoken; I am to wed your daughter."

"Have you no shame?"

"I have only respect for Mary," Joseph answered.

▄▄▄