Why Can't Things Be Easy

Harry's POV

Over the past two weeks, I've noticed quite the difference in Malfoy.

As soon as I enter the room, he stiffens up, clenching his jaw. As well, Pansy seems super overprotective of him. A few weeks ago Hermione and I gave up on our search to see what was wrong with Malfoy, thinking that he was just being a moody teenager, but now I'm not so sure. Something is definitely off.

During Defense Against the Dark Arts Malfoy seems more agitated. Not to mention that Pansy is constantly glaring at Umbridge with pure hatred in her eyes. I'll ask Hermione. She'll know what to do.

We're in the library when Ginny pulls Ron away to talk to him. Something about Quidditch and a bet they've made. It left just Hermione and I in the alcove of books.

"Hey, 'Mione?" I start.

"Yes, Harry?" She replies, not looking up from her charms book.

"So you know how we gave up on the Malfoy quest?" I ask, and she hums in response. "I think something happened this week. He's been acting weirder then usual."

Hermione, looking up from her book smirked. "And why would you be noticing these things? Watching him are you?"

I flush, making her laugh. "What? I- no! I just..."

"Shh, it's fine. I'm just messing with you," Hermione says, and I let out a breath, "When did you notice things start changing with him?"

"Err... two weeks ago? After DADA?" I reply, and Hermione's eyebrows bunch together in thought.

"He had detention with Umbridge that evening, correct?" She asks, and I nod.

"Yeah but - I mean, Malfoy's one of her favourite students right?"

"I'm not so sure..." Hermione says, brows still furrowed. "I think something might have happened in Malfoy and Parkinson's detention."

"I mean, I guess it makes sense," I agree hesitantly, "But what could have happened? Umbridge couldn't have hurt them or Malfoy would go running off to his father like a coward."

Hermione seemed to think that over. "No, I don't think she hurt him physically. I think it was more of a mental thing."

"You think?"

She nods, before Ron came rushing back towards them.

"I just lost a bet to Ginny!" Ron says with a huff, making Hermione and I laugh.

"Tough luck Ron," I say, "Never bet against Ginny."

"No kidding," He says with a sigh, "Learned that the hard way."

"What's she making you do?" Hermione asks.

"Her homework for the whole week!" Ron complains. "I mean, come on!"

"Sucks to suck Ron," I say, making him groan.

"We should get going to Potions," Hermione points out, "We don't want to be late.

"More like we don't want to go," Ron grumbles, earning a wack on the shoulder from Hermione.

Draco's POV

I can't focus through potions.

The lack of blood in my system has started taking it's toll, and Pansy can tell. She's become overly protective of me, making sure that no one even looks at me wrong without earning a stinging hex. She can't save me from everything, though.

Despite offering me her blood, I couldn't take it. She's my best friend! What if I hurt her? Kill her? With Umbit-bridge here she could probably find a way to expel me, or cart me off to Askaban.