Not Crazy

Harry's POV

I walk into the almost empty Gryffindor common room.

After my realization in the Hospital Wing, I needed to talk to Hermione. She and Parkinson were trying to figure out how to get him out, right? I want to help them. No one should be left in a cage like that.

I spot Hermione sitting in a cozy red armchair in front of the fire, nose deep in a book. I walk over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder, startling her.

"Hey, 'Mione? Can I talk to you?" I ask, and Hermione closes her book.

"Sure, what is it?" She answers. "You do have class soon, so make it quick."

"Well, I... err..." I stumble. "I talked to Malfoy."

Hermione'e eyes widen, obviously shocked. She really has lost faith in me.

"And?"

"Well, he... I... well... I want to help him," I stutter, and Hermione audibly gasps.

"You do? What? Since when?" Hermione beams at me. "I knew you'd come around eventually! You and your stupid pride!"

"Yeah, yeah. I was being kinda selfish and blind," I mumble sheepishly, "But I want to help him now."

"Oh my Harry! This is amazing!" She squeals, enveloping me in a hug.

I smile. Yep, I'd definitely made the right choice.

Hermione pulls away, picking up what looks to be my class materials. "Now, you need to get yourself to class. I have a free period, but you've got class. Off you go."

"Yes ma'am." I say, rolling my eyes as I grab my stuff from her.

I walk out of the common room and towards my next class, feeling somehow lighter then I had just hours ago.

Draco's POV

After Potter left, I breathed a sigh of relief.

The pain in my jaw declined, allowing me to relax slightly. The reflex to try and bite him through the glass subsides.

Something changed, I can feel it. We didn't even finish our conversation, he just sat there, unresponsive for a few minutes, then ran out of the Hospital Wing without another word. Something is most definitely different.

Suddenly, Hermione ran into the room, rushing over to me.

"I thought of something!" The Gryffindor exclaims.

"Yeah?"

"You're good at transfiguration, charms, and potions, right?" Hermione asks, and I nod. "Why don't you try learning wandless magic?"

"What!" I gasp, staring at her as though she has grown a second head. "No! That stuff takes years to learn! I- I can't!"

"Oh come on Draco," Hermione pleads, "Just give it a shot. It's not like you have much else to do in there."

"Maybe," I give in, "What good will it do anyway?"

"Well, I know that Madam Pomfrey must be getting blood into your cage somehow. Probably using a small opening? Right?" She says, and I nod slightly, now quite knowing where this is going. "Well, what if you transfigured yourself into a small animal, and escaped."

My eyes widen. She wants me to preform the ritual to become an animagus with a wand!? Who does she think I am?

"I know, I know. You must think I'm crazy," Hermione goes on, "But I think it's our best shot at getting you out without a lot of suspicion. It also has the lowest change of us getting caught."

"You're mental, Granger. Mental," I mutter, shaking my head, making her laugh, "How will you get me the required materials?"

"I'll just give them to Madam Pomfrey, and she'll give them to you with the blood secretly," The Gryffindor explains, and I nod along.

"Fine, but what if I don't turn into something small?" I ask.

Hermione just waves the question off. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

"What?"

"Muggle expression."

"Oh."

"Anyway," Hermione continues, "I've got to go. Class starts soon, and I can't be late."

"Always the know-it-all aren't you?" I shake my head.

"That's me. Hermione Granger, walking, talking library," She jokes.

I laugh. "Thanks Gr- Hermione."

She beams at me. "No problem Draco. Also, I think you'll find the Harry may just have changed his mind."

With that, she leaves the Hospital Wing leaving me to stew over what she just said.

An animagus? Really? Merlin, how on Earth and I meant to do that, in a cage, without anyone noticing. Honestly, that girl is mental.

It can't hurt to try though? I always have been a good at those classes. What do I have to loose?

Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes, trying to focus. A simple spell. Lumos? Lumos.

Nothing happens, and I sigh. I try again, more forcefully. Lumos!

Once again, nothing happens. I groan. This is going to take forever. Lumos! Damn it! Lumos!

Suddenly, a few sparks fly in the air, and my eyebrows shoot up. Lumos!

A small light appears in my hand. Oh sweet Merlin it actually worked!

Smiling widely at my success, I cast the spell again to make sure it wasn't a dream. Once again, a small ball of light appears in the palm of my hand. Maybe this isn't as crazy as it sounds. Just maybe.

Suddenly, I stop what I'm doing. A bunch of kids that look about in their second year run into the Hospital Wing. In their arms is another student, their leg obviously broken.

Madam Pomfrey quickly fixes it, but the students stay for a while, talking. Dumb potions assignments, annoying professors, the usual, until something catches my interest.

"Did you hear? People are saying that Harry Potter has an illegal club," A small Ravenclaw girl is saying, "They say that they got caught!"

Potter started a club? How did I not know about this? They got caught? Probably by Umbridge. What was the club even about?

"Yeah. Something about them getting in trouble for starting a club to teach people Defense Against the Dark Arts instead of Umbridge. Sounds kind of cool if you ask me," Another girls explains. Not a bad idea. Probably Hermione's. Shame that they got caught.

Potter and his friends are going to be pissed now that their secret club has gotten exposed. No more half decent conversations for a while until Potter's calmed down. That boy has quite the anger issues. Not that you can blame him. After the Triwizard tournament last year, I'm surprised no one's found him crying in a bathroom.

When the students finally leave, I try wandless magic again. Lumos!

The small orb of light reappears in my hand, and I smile down at it. Maybe this is not crazy.

Words: 1088