Almost There

Draco's POV

The next two weeks pass so slowly I almost think that the day will never come.

Finally, the day comes. Exactly one month after I first put the mandrake leaf in my mouth.

Harry comes to give me my blood as usual. Afterwords, he tells Madam Pomfrey that he wants to talk to me, and offers to bring the blood to me.

He sits down in front of my cage, sliding the blood through the small opening that the healer created.

"We've got to figure out what spell that is," Harry mumbles.

"She always whispers it," I say, "I don't know what she's saying."

Harry nods. "You can take the leaf out of your mouth today."

I roll my eyes. "Really Potter? I wasn't aware."

Harry sighs. "Back to Potter, are we?"

I just wave it off. "It's much easier to be sarcastic when I call you Potter."

"Whatever," He replies, staring at me for a moment before he continues, "You know you can drink in front of me, right? I'm okay with it."

I sallow thickly. The scent of both Potter, and his blood so close to me is making my brain go fuzzy. I try to ignore it, but now that he's mentioned it, I feel my control slip slightly.

I ball my fist, digging my nails into my hand, creating indents in the skin. Harry notices, and cocks his head to the side in confusion.

"You alright Draco?"

I nod stiffly. "Is that all you wanted to tell me?"

Harry's eyebrows scrunch together, but goes on anyway. "Err-- 'Mione told me to tell you that she finished the potion. We've now just got to wait for an electrical storm."

"Wonderful news," I reply with a clenched jaw, "Is that all?"

Harry looks as though he is going to say something else, but thinks better of it. He get up to leave with a small nod. The door to the Hospital Wing closes with a click.

I find it easier to breath as soon as he leaves the vicinity. F*cking mate sh*t.

I glance down at the cup of blood to my right. Lifting it towards my lips, I down it in one go. With a sigh of relief, I set it back down, scooting it through the opening.

I slowly take the leaf out of my mouth. Swishing my tongue around, it feels almost empty without it. I hold it in my palm, causing my saliva to coat my hand. Don't I have to use this?

Not a second later, Hermione bursts into the Hospital Wing holding a large bag. She almost runs over to me, plopping herself down in front of me.

"So," Hermione starts, "I've got the potion. Now, I need that you mandrake leaf, and one of your hairs."

I nod, plucking out one of my hair. "How do I--"

"Madam Pomfrey?" Hermione calls, cutting me off.

"Do you think you could open the cage so that I can give him some extra homework Professor Umbridge assigned?" Hermione asks, putting on an innocent face as she pulls some parchment out of her bag.

The healer nods, quickly, and quietly, casting the spell. Hermione then passes the parchment through the opening. Picking up the parchment, a small vile falls out, and into my lap. I put my hair and saliva covered leaf into the vile, and nudge it back to Hermione.

"Alright," Hermione says, a little quieter now, "The final potion should be ready by tomorrow. Then all we have to do it wait for a storm."

"Don't I have to see the storm?"

"Don't worry about that," Hermione replies, "I can just ask Madam Pomfrey to open a window. It'll be fine."

"I feel like we're forgetting something," I murmur, turning around to try and find the instructions in the mess of homework.

Finally finding it, I scan through the instructions.

"I need my wand," I says suddenly.

"What?"

I show her the instructions. "See! Step four. I need my wand so that every morning and night until a storm I can do the incantation."

Hermione's eyes widen. "Oh! You need that today!"

Before I can get another word in, Hermione is off. She sprints out of the Hospital Wing, disappearing into the corridors. Damn, I miss the corridors.

Moments later, Hermione rushing back into the Wing, out of breath. She still has her bag, but it's obviously more full. She stops in front of my cage.

"I've got it!"

I just sort of stare at her. "I-- I didn't know you could run so fast."

The Gryffindor grins at me. "Yep, well. I'm just full of surprises."

She take another piece of parchment out of her bag, sliding it through the opening. I reach for it, and feel my wand inside. I tuck the parchment behind me.

I look back down at the instructions in my lap. "Don't you need 'small crystal phial that receives the pure rays of the moon'?"

"Yep!" Hermione replies, "I've already got it."

"How? Aren't they really rare?"

"Pansy got it. Told me not to ask how, though."

I snort. "Why am I not surprised."

"It does sound like a very Pansy thing to do." Hermione agrees.

"Umm... what day is it?" I ask, having lost track with all of my time in the cage.

"It's February 3rd," Hermione answers, "You've been in that cage for around two months."

I nod. Only two months? It feels like so much longer.

"That means Valentines day is soon," I point out, "What are you doing?"

"Well I-- I'm," Hermione stutters, "I don't know."

"Doesn't seem like it," I say, "You stuttered. It's not that you don't know, you don't want to tell me."

She sighs. "Fine. I was going to ask Ron to go to Hogsmeade with me."

"Really?" I ask. "You want to take Weasel?"

"He's not a weasel!" Hermione protests. "And yes I want to ask him! Whats wrong with that!"

I smirk. "Sorry, it's habit. There's nothing wrong with it, I was just surprised. What will Harry do?"

"I- I didn't think that far ahead," She answers truthfully, "Valentines day isn't for a week or so. I'll think about it more later."

"Suit yourself," I shrug.

Hermione rolls her eyes. "Whatever, Draco, I've got class. I'll see you in a bit."

"Yeah, bye."

Hermione exits the Hospital Wing, and I reach for the parchment containing my wand. Pulling my wand out, I breath a sigh of relief.

I try a few simple charms to make sure that everything still works fine, and Umbridge didn't somehow manage to tamper with it.

"Lumos!" I cast, and the tip of the wand glows. Wonderful.

I look back at the instructions, before placing my wand tip over my heart.

"Amato Animo Animato Animagus," I chant, and the tip of my wand glows slightly, before fading. I think it worked?

Hearing footsteps, I quickly hide the wand in the mound of homework in the far corner of my cage. Thankfully, the footsteps were only Madam Pomfrey walking around.

We're almost there. We just have to wait for a storm

Words: 1191