fourteen

carter

As I was packing my bag, I began to feel sick. Not an 'ill' kind of sickness, but more like a gut-wrenching one.

I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to have to go back 'home' and face my mum. Or worse; face Blake. I didn't want to face any of my problems at the minute.

I just wanted to stay here. Eating brownies and sleeping in Skyla's ten year old barbie duvet. Going to see stupid horror movies with her and Mitch and not have to worry about anything.

Now that I think about it. I hate that this has happened. I hate that I've moved halfway across the country from my best friend, from my hometown into some miserable place, where I have no friends. Only problems.

Sighing, I threw the rest of my stuff inside the bag and swung it over my shoulder. I lightly hopped downstairs and went to say goodbye to everyone.

They were all in the kitchen eating breakfast.

"Carter!" Jennie smiles at me! "Breakfast?" She asks, pointing to piles of bacon, and a high stack of pancakes; drizzled in maple syrup. My mouth begins to water but I have to shake me head.

"I'm sorry jennie, I would love to stay for breakfast but my mum is expecting me as early as possible and I'm afraid I'm already late." I sigh, and give a small smile.

She returns to smile and shakes her head. "No no, it's fine. I should have asked. I knew you wanted to get off early. It's just - well - we've missed you so much round here, haven't we?" She motions towards her children who both look up at me with food stuffed in tier faces. Mitch and sky both put thumbs up.

"I've missed you too!" I say. She goes in for a hug and I return it almost immediately.

Then I motion towards Mitch, who winks at me and then pulls me in for a hug too. "Tell me what happened with Jack tonight." He whispers.

"But-" I begin.

"Skype me. Please?" I nod. "I'm gonna miss you. Visit again soon? Or we could come up?"

"That'll be nice." I grin and squeeze him one last time.

I move onto skyla who was already crying. Then she starts blubbering everything out.

"Please don't leave me again! I can't stand it when you aren't here. I missed you so much Carter I really did. And school is the worst. Everyone picks on me - I have nobody to talk too. You the only one I had in that place and now you're gone. Just don't leave again. I'm sure your mom would understand if you wanted to stay here and everything just please-"

"Sky."

"What?" She sniffles, and I remember that she still has a cold.

"Why didn't you tell me this earlier." I ask, and I want to cry. I don't want that for her.

"I didn't want to worry you." She looks down.

"Sky you know I have to go. But I will call everyday and skype everyday! And I will try and come visit as much as I possibly can. Just ignore the people at school. It's okay to make new friends." I smile. She returns the smile, but it's weak and sad.

"Yeah. Yeah I guess you're right. I'm being silly."

"I love you."

"Love you too." And I hug her.

~*~

The drive back was boring and I was misrable. Oh and it was freezing cold. The heater in my car wasn't working anymore, and I felt like I wanted to cry. I was so stressed out, and worried about Sky as well as all my other problems.