Chapter 27.

He was so frustrating. So incredibly intoxicating and overwhelming. I felt alive whenever I was around him. When Zac wasn't near me, I felt as if there was a part of me was missing and I hated that I felt this way so suddenly. I have never wanted anything or anyone as badly as I wanted him.

I stare up at the ceiling in my room, taking in deep breaths to try and calm my racing heart.

There was a small tap at my bedroom door, and I call out for them to come in, sitting up on my bed so I was leaning back against the headboard.

"Hey," Emmett says, quietly, using his back to push the door open. He held two cups in his hands, one in my usual large grey cup and his usual blue cup as well.

"Hey," I respond. I extend my hand out to him, taking my cup in my hands.

"I heard you get up early this morning," he states, sitting next to me on my bed, slowly, making sure he doesn't spill his coffee.

I could feel the weight on my bed shift when he sat.

"Good God, my bed is on an angle now," I laugh.

"Very funny," he says with a small infectious laugh and leans against the headboard next to me.

"I couldn't sleep," I tell him, but I'm sure anyone who takes a single look at me can tell that. The bags underneath my eyes darkened over the days and I was constantly a mess.

"I thought so," he nods, sipping his coffee. "That's why I gave you an extra shot in your coffee," he says, and I laugh.

"Aren't you a beautiful human," I say, taking a sip of my very strong and sweet coffee.

We sit in a comfortable silence for a couple seconds, sipping our coffees together, until he breaks the silence.

"So, you and Zac, huh?" He asks.

I snap my head towards him. I wasn't expecting this question. I search his face, trying to find an answer to his question. How do I begin?

"Zac and I..." I respond, nodding my head. I continue to take sips of my warm coffee and relax against my headboard.

"I'm sorry, Ali," he says in a remorseful voice.

I looked at him again, my eyebrows drawn together in confusion.
"Why are you sorry?"

"You said I could have saved you," he says, and looks down at me.

"I'm sorry for saying that," I tell him.

"You were right though, I should have told you," he says and takes another sip of his coffee. I nod my head. I wished he did, but I don't think it would have changed my feelings otherwise.

"I think even if you did tell me, it wouldn't have prevented how I feel. You couldn't have saved me." I was honest with him, and I watch his face turn into a frown.

"Well, if it's any consolation, I am sorry."

"I know," I say leaning into him. "And thank you."

"You love him, don't you?" he asks, and I snap my head towards him again. What is it with all these intense questions so early in the morning? I didn't want to deny it, especially to my best friend, but I didn't want to admit it out loud so soon.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Not really, but it's the way you look at him... as if he shits diamonds," he says, and I giggle, trying to keep my coffee steady as I shake with laugher.

"Ah, that's an attractive mental image," I say, and he laughs. We continue laughing. I held my coffee in both of my hands enjoying the warmth and we sit in comfortable silence yet again, enjoying small talk about our planned day and finishing the rest of our coffee.

He grabs both of our empty cups and head off talking about studying or something, but before he exits my bedroom, he turns looks at me still in bed.

"Look Al..." he seems to be struggling for the right words. "Just so you know, Zac really did try and break up with Sara when you got here." He looks everywhere in my room, except at me. "Sara is just a really stubborn bitch and they've known each other since they were kids."

I look at Emmett with a small smile. That did make me feel a little better, but hearing her name made my eyebrow furrow and my lip twitch.

"Thanks, Em," I smile.

I watch him shut my door and I slide down further in my bed, trying to get a quick nap in before my shift tonight at the Bar.