21: Choked Up On Jealousy

I opened my eyes and saw Ryan running over to me.

I kicked my foot away from the creeper, leaped into his arms and sobbed.

"It's ok." He whispered. He rubbed my back gently.

Over his shoulder, I saw Keira staring at us longingly. I didn't care about her right now.

"You're safe." He whispered.

I hugged him tightly.

"Kiera knows." I whispered.

He turned around, still holding me in his arms.

"You have fun." I heard her say. Then I heard angry feet stomping away from us.

"Let's bring you back to camp." He whispered.

We walked back to camp slowly and I told him what happened. Everything she said.

He stopped and held my face in his hands.

"I am really sorry for what pain I put her through. But that is gone now and I have you. And I promised myself I wouldn't do that to anyone again."

"I'm not mad at you."

He smiled and kissed me lightly.

We went back to camp and he gathered a few things.

"Come on." He said.

I walked with him back to the outskirts of the camp.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see." He smiled.

We walked into a clearing where a small creek ran through the middle of the damp grass. Small fish swam around the shallow stream.

Ryan laid out a blanket on the ground and sat down. He patted the spot next to him and I plopped down next to him.

"Our first date." He smiled.

"What about all of those times at the lake?"

"Our first date when you don't have a fiancé."

I laughed. He kissed me on the forehead.

I leaned me head on his shoulder as I watched the water slowly trickle down the stream.

"So, I want to see this tattoo of yours."

I smiled and took off my shirt. I felt his soft fingers run over the writing.

"You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it, that's deep."

"My dad told me that once."

"Your dad was a smart man."

"Was." Tears filled my eyes.

"There is no 'was'. He will always be here. He will always be with you. As long as you want him to be."

I smiled. "That's deep." I laughed.

I felt his lips press against my tattoo. His arms wrapped around my waist. I held onto them and smiled.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you more." I whispered back.

"I doubt that." He kissed me on the neck.

We stayed there like that the whole night. Me laying in his lap while he stroked my hair and kissed me on the top of my head.

I felt safe here. In his arms. Nobody could touch us. No creepers could break us apart, no jealous exes, no virus. It was just us in our bubble while the world reaked havoc around us. My little circle of protection.

"If you could change anything about me, what would it be?" He asked me.

"Why are you asking that?"

"I don't know. I'm just wondering."

"You're perfect. You don't need to change."

"But if you had to change something."

I wrinkled my nose. "Your shirt."

He laughed and pulled off his shirt. I smiled, leaning back up against his bare chest.

"And me? You brought up the question so I assume something is wrong." I asked.

"No, there is nothing wrong, baby. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong." He kissed me on the forehead.

"No you have to answer." I laughed.

He took a deep breath and pushed a stray piece of hair off of my forehead. "I would change your situation. I would change your dad leaving you, I would change Jim hurting you, I would change Debbi's death."

I looked up at him. "Well you can't." I whispered as I kissed him on the cheek.

"That's something I regret."

"That's why I love you." We pulled together for a lingering kiss.

"We better get back to camp." He whispered.

He slipped his shirt back on and gathered the blanket.

We started back.

"I'll tell everyone. Slowly, though."

"Ok." I said back. I was just glad I didn't have to keep this a secret anymore.

We got back and joined everyone eating dinner by the fire.

Keira kept giving me death stares. I tried to ignore her but then she started making noises of disgust.

I put down my plate, walked over to her and put my mouth up to her ear.

"If you have a problem, say it to my face." Then, I stomped away.

I wasn't going to sit around and let her bully me.

I went deep into the forest and leaned up against a tree. I sobbed. I couldn't take it anymore. The bullying, the longing to see my family again, not being able to show my affection for Ryan in public. It was all killing me.

I heard a dragging noise throughout the forest. Then, a loud groaning. More and more sounds of creepers surrounded me.

I took my face out of my hands and looked around.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of zombies were walking towards me.