4: The Rustle in The Trees

"To the happy couple!" Luther proclaimed.

We all raised our glasses and took a drink of the bubbly champagne, the warm fire crackling around us.

Jim's arm was wrapped around my waist.

The whole situation brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to say no so badly. Why did I have to question my job anyway? Why couldn't I just have left it alone and just went through with it? And I was still stuck with Debbi duty.
Jim was so caught up in the moment that he forgot to mention my scene to Luther.

"I'm going to get out of these clothes." I whispered to Jim.

He was laughing at a wedding joke Jeff just told.

"Yeah, babe. Don't be gone too long." He kissed me on the forehead and I walked off to the main house.

I went up to the armory and locked the door.

The moment the metal bars clicked into place, I broke out into tears.

This was all too stressful for me. I couldn't marry someone I didn't love. This whole relationship was set up between my mother and Luther, it wasn't even real, it was just a test.

I honestly didn't know if I loved anyone at this point. Maybe I can't love anyone right now, not at a time like this. My mom had always said I could have a family once this all ended. My parents broke up once this all happened. Maybe I do love Jim but this world destruction thing was holding that love back from being revealed. I couldn't worry about that right now, I had to worry about getting through this.

I stood up, wiped my eyes and grabbed my crossbow. I needed some time in the woods.

I crept downstairs and snuck out the kitchen window.

I headed into the back forest. It was safer back there.

I trekked through the dark wood. No signs of creepers, this was the least active part of our property.

I heard a rustling in the trees.

I quickly pulled back the metal wire on my crossbow and inserted an arrow.

Another rustle.

I turned towards the source. I didn't hear any growling or moaning, and if it was a creeper it would be a continuous rustling, not one every now and then. It was probably an animal, but I wasn't taking any chances.

I waited for it to come out. The cool wind blew my dark blond hair into my face.

The figure stumbled out into the clearing.

I thought it was a creeper and I aimed for its eye, but then I saw fear on their face.

They put their hands up in defense.

"Please, I don't want to cause any harm." A man's voice said.

I let my vision focus and a tall, handsome man about my age stood before me, his blue eyes sparkled in the dim light.

I didn't know what was happening but something inside me shifted.