Chapter 29: Unexpected Outcome

Dr. Blake rushed to us, followed by Jack, Keith, and one of the rangers. I knew the doctor was in good shape for his age, but I never expected him to be so fast. Two security guards showed up into the clearing soon after and chased behind the first group with clear concern for the safety of their employer. It was odd to see those since they normally stayed near the access gates. In mere seconds, the whole group was almost on top of us. The only reason Viken hadn't been tackled already was that Allison, who anticipated the group's move, got in the way in time to block them.

Unlike the rest, Keith and Dr. Blake ignored the giantess and made their way around her, only to be stopped by a small fireball aimed at their feet. "Stand down, humans, or I won't miss the next one," Belaury announced, glaring at them. A much bigger fireball was already hovering over her palm.

They were briefly stunned. "Elves?" Dr. Blake muttered. Their eyes travelled from her to Viken, and then to Anna. Spotting the glow coming from the old man's hands, Keith sighed and sheathed his sword. "What happened here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" My teacher replied, not letting go of the magic on her hand. "The girl is injured. Greatly so. She's lucky we were around."

"But how?" The knight asked. "And why were you here?"

Belaury simply pointed up with her free hand. "She fell from up there, and I think it's pretty damn obvious what we're doing here."

Dr. Blake turned pale as he looked up. "It's my fault," he muttered.

"Would you look at that? Turns out the whole world is responsible for this now," Belaury scoffed, finally putting out the flame. "It was an accident, you dolt. No one's at fault."

It surprised me to see her dropping her guard like that. The humans she hated so much were right in front of her, and all she did was frown and scold them. Not only that, she wasn't blaming Dr. Blake like I thought she would. Perhaps she simply didn't want to agree with him? Regardless of her intentions, I couldn't help feeling scolded, too. Noticing this, she patted my head. I saw many confused faces because of this.

"I had it built," Dr. Blake retorted, seemingly oblivious to the not so small detail.

"So?" She asked. "Did you do it expecting her to climb it and fall?"

"Of course not!"

"There you go then. That's why we call it an accident. Instead of blaming yourself, learn from the mistake and fix it. Now, shut up and let my husband concentrate!" she yelled, earning a grunt from Viken. "I'm just educating the new generations, Vik." He rolled his eyes and extended his arm to her. She gave him another brown potion in response.

Dr. Blake looked like he wanted to say something else, but did as she said. It was the right choice. Belaury could get quite childish at times, and this was such a moment. Our healer looked quite annoyed with the loud exchange, too. Seeing that no one was openly hostile anymore, the doctor kneeled next to his daughter's head, biting his fist as he watched the process. Anna looked a lot better now, so I couldn't imagine how her father would have reacted if he had arrived a bit earlier. Oddly enough, neither elf reacted to his action. To Viken, it was as if he didn't exist.

My teacher was clearly in a bad mood, but she limited herself to glaring at them. Not them. She would look at Keith and then briefly to empty space, only for her frown to grow and stare at him once more. The knight was too focused on Anna's recovery to notice. Allison also relaxed and sat down, letting the rest of the group fully see what was happening behind her.

"Can you fully heal her?" Keith asked the old elf, kneeling closer than I thought was wise. Viken nodded, sitting Anna back up to administer the new dose of nutrients.