Chapter 19: The Intruders

"I'll give you till the count of three!" Anna yelled at the intruder, still aiming her bow at the forest. "You better step out of those bushes and show yourself before I finish!"

"One. Two. Thr-"

"W-wait!" A new voice shouted from within the woods. It was male, given how deep and rough it was. "We are walking out!"

Anna's eyes widened, and she lowered her bow. I had yet to see them because of the angle. Soon enough, two figures stepped out of the shrubbery with their arms raised. A man and a woman came into view as we got closer to Anna. They looked old, although still younger than Dr. Blake. There were barely any wrinkles on their faces, and both of them had silver-blond hair. The clothes they wore under their leaf patterned cloaks looked like something straight out of a history book. The element that stood out the most about this elderly couple, however, was without a doubt the unusual trait they shared with Anna. Those long ears both of them possessed.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" Anna asked.

"We should be asking the same thing from you, child." The man replied. He spoke slowly, as if trying not to make a mistake. His accent was thick, and definitely one I didn't recognise. "Why would you consider living between humans?" He then turned to look at us. "That is meant to all of you. A giant, a vampire, and... whatever you two may be. Do you know not how dangerous they are?"

Anna frowned at his words. "What do you mean, dangerous? Are you guys from Kelpont? Do you know them, Alex?"

"I've never seen them before," the vampire replied with a shrug.

The man grumbled. "We have not the time. If you want replies, you need to come with us, away from the humans." Both elves didn't think twice before turning around and walking towards the forest.

"Listen, old man," Anna shouted, raising her bow once more. "I don't know what your problem might be, but I don't think you're in position to demand anything."

The man whipped his head back at her. "How can you not know!?"

His companion, who had been quiet the whole time, placed a hand on his shoulder and whispered to him. "Illy ven siad nyg, Vik." Her voice was melodic, and whatever she said seemed to calm the man down.

He sighed deeply. "Dæn ven lint." He looked back to Anna and spoke in our language once more. "I apologise. My beloved is correct. You are... excessively young to know. I will explain, only not here. I beg of you. We will wait by your cabin, next to the shore of the lake."

At that moment both of them disappeared, not by walking deeper into the forest, no. They literally vanished into thin air.

"What the- Wait!" Anna shouted. She then lowered her weapon and looked at us. "What should we do?"

"I don't think we have a choice," Alex replied. "Or do you need me to point out all the things that made no sense from this encounter?"

Anna sighed. "No, you're right. We need answers, and I think this will be the only chance we'll get to ask them. All in favour?"

---<>----------<>----------<>---

The lake was the farthest point from the investigation centre that still counted as our own territory. It was likely the reason they chose this location. There was no one when we arrived. Despite that, we all took seats by the cabin, where we found a table with enough seats for the group. Allison sat on the grass behind me, and Sylvia moved her wheelchair next to me.

"Thank you for coming," the old man said from somewhere within the trees. Both elves then materialised right next to the table. "I know introductions are in order. The name of this one is Viken Deinast, and this is my beloved, Belaury."