Side Story, Part 6: What Lies Beneath

I didn't want to show it, but I was scared. Mum had gotten increasingly worried over the last few days. She said humans got dangerously close to our hideout, and their presence prevented her from going outside to gather more food. Our supplies were far from exhausted, but they would run out, eventually. At least we still had access to running water.

We were in the middle of eating dinner when we heard footsteps coming from the roof above the beds. They were standing right next to the small river that ran over our home. I looked at Mum, waiting for her instructions. She brought a finger in front of her mouth, and we listened in silence. She kept telling me there was no way they could find us. The entrance was sealed, and a small waterfall fully covered that wall.

Minutes passed, and we heard them walk closer to the entrance, then past it. They were leaving. We sighed in relief, knowing the worst was over. With some luck, they would never come close to this area again.

Our hopes were shattered when we heard a voice coming from outside. "We know you are there," it said in fluent Geilspræn. "Come out peacefully, and we swear by the eight gods not to harm you. If you fail to comply, we'll drill our way in." The man was using a loudspeaker, and he was aiming it right at us.

"Hide under the bed," Mum whispered, grabbing out her hunting knife and bow.

I nodded and did as she asked. Peeking from my "safe" location, I watched as she cast her magic on the wall, parting the stone to reveal a bearded man in a black uniform already standing behind the waterfall. A sword sheathed into an overly ornamented scabbard hung from his waist. His left hand was empty, while the right held the megaphone he used to call us.

Mum stayed right at the entrance of the cave, where the walls still protected her back. The man smiled and bowed to her. He was weird. Mum told me humans didn't believe in the gods. They weren't supposed to know our language or greet others this way either. "Good evening, Madam. My name is Stefan Fuchs, Knight Representative of the Spectres of Schwald. And you are?"

She reluctantly returned the courtesy. "Lystida Brændyll. May I ask the reason a human knight came to my door?" she replied, using the common tongue. I knew she did it so I wouldn't have trouble understanding. I was still learning, after all. "Have you finally decided to search and kill the last remaining Dræll?"

"Oh, not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact." The black knight shook his head and bowed once more. "On behalf of my ancestors, I deeply regret the events that took place so many centuries ago. We know a simple apology won't be enough to fix the damage they caused, but we hope for you to find it in your heart to accept our heartfelt request and cooperate with us now and in the future."

Mum sighed. "You have not answered my question. What can an old lady like myself do for you, Sir?"

The man hung the megaphone to his waist and reached for one of his pockets. Mum took a step back and raised her knife, only to lower it when all that came out was a picture.

"This is Kara Druren, a fellow citizen of Schwald. She, along with her parents, went missing a few days ago. We have our reasons to believe she's here with you."

"What makes you think I would keep a human girl with me?" Mum asked him.

"Nothing at first," he replied. "You see, we've known about your existence for a while now, Madam. Your actions over the last few decades have quite the reputation, to put it mildly. I don't think there's a single citizen in Schwald that hasn't heard of the shadow people that supposedly inhabit the Black Forest."

Hearing this, Mum's grip on her knife increased. The man noticed it and raised his now empty hands. "Ignoring your nightly visits to our citizens' campsites, you tend to completely avoid humans. That combined with our previously unsuccessful efforts to locate your hideout, led to the decision to leave you alone."