Chapter 31: The New Normal

I woke up to the sound of my phone's message notification. Groaning and still unable to open my eyes properly, I clawed at the nightstand in an attempt to grab it. My other hand was busy trying to remove a few persistent strands of hair from my mouth. Thankfully, the numbers on the screen were big enough that I could identify them despite my blurred vision.

Late morning, though it was still too early for me. A long yawn escaped my mouth as I slid my thumb along the dots on the screen, clumsily trying to complete the pattern and unlock the thing. After a few failed attempts, I was able to get past the security screen and check the message.

Mom: [We'll be arriving earlier than expected!]

I blinked slowly, staring at the text. I was, most definitely, not the same morning person I was before. Another yawn made itself present as I typed my own text.

Nora: [Arriving wear?]

Ugh, stupid phone...

Nora: [where*]

A couple of minutes passed before she finally saw my question and replied.

Mom: [The centre, silly! Where else? Don't tell me you forgot we are visiting today.]

Reading this, my eyes shot wide open. The sudden energy burst the message gave me was better than any coffee I had in the past. In retrospect, that really wasn't that good of a comparison. I rarely had that stuff to begin with. The only way for me to drink the bitter beverage was by completely masking its taste with as many things as I could. It was probably worse after the age regression. I hadn't tried it, nor was I that interested in finding out.

In any case, I was now fully awake, scrolling all the way up the message history in search of any indication of this surprise visit. I found none.

Nora: [Why didn't you tell me yesterday!?]

Nora: [And what do you mean you'll be here earlier?]

Nora: [How much earlier?]

Mom: [We'll be there sooner because classes ended early today. That's what Allen says, at least. He told us there was an emergency drill in case of culling infection. I tried calling the school to confirm with them, but the lines are all busy. Anyway, he's already on his way here. He placed his things in the car before leaving the house, so we'll be ready to leave as soon as he arrives. Dad says we should be there by lunch.]

I sighed. That gave me a little over two hours to get prepared, so it wasn't as bad as I expected. I had the feeling Dad made the decision based purely on the chance to get free food, though. What really worried me was how this sudden change in schedule would be perceived by Dr. Blake, Anna, and the rest of the staff. I didn't even know if Anna had fully recovered to hear it.

The fastest way to confirm that was by asking Viken or Dr. Blake himself, and judging by the muffled voices I heard coming from outside, that wouldn't be a problem. I could tell both of them were talking by the terrace. There was no mistaking it.

Nora: [Okay, Mommy. I'll let everyone here know.]

Mom: [Thanks, sweetie. See you there!]

Wait...

Nora: [One more thing.]

Nora: [Is Mary coming?]

Mom: ["You bet I am!" Is what she said. She's been here all morning, actually. You should see her. She's wearing those long ears she bought when you went to that fantasy convention last year. Want me to send you a picture?]

Panic came back to me in an instant. I rejected the offer and proceeded to type a new message aimed at my crazy friend.

Nora: [Take those things off right now!]