Chapter 7: Size Matters

I found myself standing in the middle of the forest. Everything was dark, foggy and unusually quiet. Despite all that, I could see my surroundings with clarity thanks to the bright blue moon shining above me. Its light gave a mystical look to the woods.

A dream?

It sure looked like it. The place definitely seemed cold enough to make me shiver, yet I felt nothing. I also had no memory of leaving my room. Determined to find the answer, or at least someone else, I walked through the woods, searching for any sign of civilization.

I had barely taken a dozen steps when I heard whispering. It didn't sound like the girl from my nightmare. The voice belonged to an adult, although still female. I turned around, and I was met with two silhouettes. A man and a woman peeked at me from the shrubbery. The blue mist made them hard to see, but I could still make out their silver-blond hair.

I really need to stop reading horror stories before bedtime...

They kept whispering, though I could not discern any words of their conversation.

"Hello?" I called. Both of them hid when I did so, and the dream ended

shortly after that.

Waking up in my bed, I saw the first rays of the rising sun coming through the window. I sat up and stretched, giving out a loud yawn.

"Nora, you're awake!"

The sudden voice made me yelp, and I scanned the room in search of the source without success.

Am I still dreaming?

"Down here, you dummy!"

My sight dropped and focused on the little person waving her arms at me from the nightstand. She was wearing a set of pink pyjamas that I was sure belonged to some rather unfortunate doll at some point. The stolen clothing had been cut and modified to fit a fairy's wings.

"What are you doing in my room, Lily?"

Her wings made a loud humming noise as she flew closer to me. "This is my room too, see?" She pointed to a small set of pink plastic furniture on top of the nightstand. It looked rather cheap, but at least the pillows and blankets were real.

I also noticed Lily's back was completely exposed because of the opening in her clothes. It didn't look that comfortable, even with the summer heat. It made me wonder if she could feel anything with those scales on her back. She certainly didn't seem to mind it.

The gown I was wearing closed at the back, so it was perfect to accommodate my own wings. I hoped all my future clothes had a similar feature. Exposing so much skin wasn't for me, even if it was only the back.

"Well, only until they finish building mine," she continued. "Anna said it was easier to have me here while I waited. You sure sleep a lot, huh."

"It's because of the virus. If I-"

She giggled, interrupting me. "I know, I know. I'm just teasing you."

I sighed. "How long was it this time?"

"Almost six days."

Not as bad as I thought then. The virus is very inconsistent with this.

I hopped out of bed and walked into the bathroom to see myself in the mirror, only to go back and drag a chair to get on so I could see the reflection better. I missed being strong enough to carry it, or tall enough to not need it to begin with.

The first thing I noticed was the presence of blue patches in some parts of my body. It wasn't the same colour as my hair, but a much paler version of it.