Chapter 32: Visiting Hours

Sylvia and Allison kept me company as I waited for my family. Since it was only the three of us, we sat at a different, smaller table today. This one was close to the entrance and stood next to a window that granted me vision of the main hall. I kept leaning on its deep sill, staring at the door that led to the underground parking lot from my seat. They were going to enter through there. At least they were meant to.

Allison placed a hand on my head and smiled. "Anyone would think you haven't seen them in years, little one. Don't worry, it shouldn't be long now."

"I know." Mom had sent me a message just before they entered the forest, after all. "I'm fine," I added after a pause.

"Are you sure?" Sylvia asked from the other side of the table. "Your tail seems to disagree with you."

I turned around to see the blue whip slowly swinging from side to side. My face heated up, and my hand flew to stop its movement. Sylvia covered her mouth, trying to hide her snickering.

"Just you wait," I replied, glaring at her. "A couple more weeks, and you'll be too busy keeping yours in check."

Sylvia's own tail rested limply on her lap. Despite not being fully formed, the lifeless appendage was long enough to get trapped between the wheelchair's rims when it moved, so she needed to be careful with it. Her transformation was quite obvious already, though there were still no signs of her getting any younger. Theory so far was that her pregnancy also had a hand in this.

The light squeaking of hinges echoed throughout the hall, making me look back at the previously closed door. Theo, one of the assistants, had come out and was holding it for someone on the other side. The next moment, I was sprinting towards the lobby.

A startled yelp made me stop in my tracks. The frightened man that came out of the door was definitely a visiting parent; just not mine. The sudden scare made him take a step back, crashing against the green suitcase he brought with him. The large object had four wheels, so it simply slid away, rather than fall. He was Thomas, the man that voluntarily got bitten in an attempt to get infected along with his wife.

"I-I'm sorry," the man said, bringing his right hand to his chest. His eyes wandered away from mine. "I didn't mean to yell like that."

I sighed in disappointment and shook my head. "No, it's my fault for running like that. I'm really sorry, mister."

"R-right. I don't mind."

The man was trembling from head to toe. I was aware he wasn't a fan of my appearance from the moment we met, but I didn't remember his reaction being so bad before. Though, given the situation, I was probably the least of his concerns back then.

"Sorry, kid," Theo said, earning a frown from me. He didn't see it as he was busy dragging the runaway luggage back to its owner. "They'll be here soon, though. Don't worry."

Once close, his hand reached out for my head. This didn't sit well with me. Triggered by the sudden action, I took a step back and let out an unintentional warning growl. All of us flinched in response. Conflicting thoughts came to me. There was guilt from scaring them and fear of my own reaction, but also a sense of pride from making my opinion known.

"Nora!" Mom's angry voice took me by surprise. I turned around to see her and Mary walking through the open door.

"No, it's okay. It was my mistake. Sorry about that, Nora," Theo said before he turned his back on us and spoke to the nervous visitor. "This way, Mr. Malin." The man nodded, and both walked away.

"It really wasn't my fault," I continued once they were far enough.

"Allen did tell me you can't control it, but you didn't even apologise. I don't think many people enjoy being growled at."