Chapter 14: Stay Cool, Bird Boy

I barely slept last night. I had too much to think about after my conversation with Anna. She told me not to worry too much. That not only would they considerably increase the security around the place, but our facility was much better hidden than Kelpont's, given the forest that surrounded us.

She also mentioned that the chances of a leak were low since this centre had many fewer staff members and patients. This meant it was easy to keep tabs on everyone, even those who were discharged or turned out to be immune.

When I asked her about my family, she said they'd still be able to visit me like we agreed. Though it was necessary that they adhered to basic safety measures. Bringing visible camping equipment seemed to be the easiest of the bunch. That way, no one would think there was another reason for visiting the forest. To make it more convincing, they would need to stay the whole weekend. Although, knowing my mother, she would gladly do so.

They also mentioned giving my dad a security card and registering the car's licence plates into their database. This granted access to the underground tunnel the staff already used to come and go each day.

Additionally, while Mary was allowed to tag along as she was already aware of everything, any other friends and relatives were completely out of the question. If they asked, all my family could tell them was that I fell into a coma due to an unknown illness. It had been that way all along, so it wasn't anything new.

It still scared me, though. Having no magic, no weapons, nor flight to protect myself, I was too vulnerable. To make things worse, I could turn feral at any moment, and while it was somewhat helpful against Lily's father, I knew I wouldn't be as lucky against a group of people, much less a gun.

I don't have many options.

Fake swords won't do much, and I can't use the bows we have, so weapons can already be discarded.

That leaves magic and flight as my options.

Magic could be useful... If we had any damaging spells, that is. And it doesn't seem like anyone will discover one soon either.

Looks like my best chance is to rush my flight training.

If I can't fight, all I have left is to run.

Although I hated the idea of escaping by myself, I didn't know what else I could do. I'd only get in their way if I stayed. I shook my head out of that thought.

That should only be my last resort. I need to keep working on my magic while we're safe.

Psychic spells may not be reliable, but they are far from useless.

Maybe I should focus on that.

Breakfast time arrived so, after getting dressed, I headed down to the cafeteria. I hoped Sylvia didn't notice my lack of sleep. We couldn't let her know about the incident. At least not yet. If her ex was really involved, it would be terrible for her. The pain and current situation were stressful enough for her.

Speaking of pain, my wings hurt a little. It was the result of yesterday's training, no doubt. I was also quite hungry, so once I got to the cafeteria, I grabbed a tuna sandwich, two slices of ham, an apple, a glass of milk, and some cookies. It seemed excessive for my size, but I felt like I needed it. I was the last one to arrive at the table, and I saw they already had a stool waiting for me next to Allison, who was sitting on her now usual floor cushion.

Allison spoke to me as I sat down. "Slept well, little one?"

My eyes widened at her question, "Huh?"

Calm down.