𝟮𝟳.

𝗔𝘂𝗴𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝟮𝟬, 𝟮𝟬𝟭𝟵
𝗗𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗼𝗻, 𝗧𝗲𝘅𝗮𝘀
𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆𝟱𝟬 𝗖𝗼𝗺𝗺𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘁𝘆
𝗨𝗻𝗶𝘁 𝟯𝟮
𝟳:𝟮𝟳𝗮𝗺

𝗔𝘆𝗹𝗮

      I sighed pacing around the tile floorboards in the apartment, officers were still combing through

    I sighed pacing around the tile floorboards in the apartment, officers were still combing through. I walked into Rod's room seeing his gun, and iPhone I grabbed them both sliding them into my bra.

   I had a strong feeling my brother was innocent, but this was America — and he was a black man. Even without a story, they would come up with anything to connect the dots.

   I'd just lost our father due to a failed system yesterday and I'd be damned if I lost my brother, the only family I had as well. Rod and I shared a father, my mother had abandoned me when I was three at a fire station, I didn't have any memories of her — the ones I did, I couldn't tell you if I picked them up from TV shows or if they were legitimate. At nine I ran away from my foster family, and found Rose and my brother and ultimately my daddy. I only had about a year with him before he was arrested for a triple homicide.

I walked back toward the guest room, going into Maisen's nursery. I hid the phone and gun in the top of his closet, closing the doors. I turned around going to his crib seeing he was still sound asleep.

"Why you coming in here," I looked at one of the officers. "You outta fucking order. This is his child, had my brother done anything it wouldn't be around his kid."

"I'm only do-.."

"Nah fuck yo job," I cut him off steaming with rage. "You're a black man. You know this system set up for y'all to fail and look at you!"

"I'm so sorry," He said leaving the room.

"Hmph," I rolled my eyes turning back to face Maisen. I rubbed his back while he started stirring his sleep.

"Imma bring ya daddy home duty," I sighed looking at my nephew. "I promise you that."

I left him going back toward the guest room Rod had put together for me. I grabbed my phone from the charger on the nightstand going back into the nursery closing and locking the door behind me.

I sat on the floor Indian style combing through my contacts, until I found Jacobe's number.

Jacobe was a close friend of my brother, and I'd had the biggest crush on him as long as I could remember. However, Rod didn't approve. He'd die if he even knew Jay and I talked it'd drive him up a wall.