𝗘𝗽𝗶𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲

𝗗𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗮𝘀, 𝗧𝗲𝘅𝗮𝘀
𝗝𝗮𝗻𝘂𝗮𝗿𝘆 𝟯, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯
𝟮𝟯𝟵𝟭 𝗦𝗮𝗻 𝗚𝗮𝗯𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗹 𝗗𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗲
𝟭𝟮:𝟯𝟬𝗽𝗺

𝗘𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲

   I sat at my computer staring at the blank screen, and it stared back at me

   I sat at my computer staring at the blank screen, and it stared back at me. I bit my lip and went to typing, Rodriguez Moore had signed as a client at the Law Firm I now worked at. I had to be impartial. No, he wasn't seeking a defense attorney before your mind draws that conclusion, although I had the same when his name came across my desk.

   I had graduated with a degree in law, I didn't receive a scholarship into the University of Houston Law Center, so I sought a job as a paralegal. According to the contract I was drawing up, Rod and Jacobe were in a partnership to open up their own: R&J's Auto Repair Shop.

   "Stop," Anaiyah cried running into my office. "Essy she keep touching me."

I got up from my computer, "Skye bring ya ass."

Skye's head peered around the corner.

"All the way."

"Otay," She sighed putting her head down walking in.

"What's wrong," My eyes went from one girl to the other.

They both stayed silent. Anaiyah looked down biting on her fingernails.

"If nobody gon tell me y'all both going to timeout," I warned them. "1..2.."

"I hitted her mommy," Skye ran over hugging my leg.

"We don't fight," I said picking her up pinching her chubby lil cheek.

"Now Skye, apologize to your sister."

"But she hitted me first mommy!"

"Anaiyah," I looked over at the 3 and a half year old. "Why'd you hit your sister?"

"She called me ugly Essy," She responded with a neck roll, that little girl had so much sass already.

"Now y'all damnnea twins," I planted Skye down on her feet. "Neither of you are ugly. Okay?"

"Yes ma'am," They said in unison.

"Now go play."

I sighed shaking my head. Being a parent was hard enough, but being a stepparent was harder, especially while pregnant. My hormones were all over the place, and the changes my body was enduring was honestly kicking my ass — I just didn't want to do anything that could potentially scar any of the kids.

Back in early 2021, Kasha had caught the Covid-19 virus, which killed her after a long battle of sitting in the hospital on a ventilator for nearly a month. After the death of his wife, Rod had fallen off the grid. He left behind his kids, his sister, and me without a word. When Kasha passed her triplets were barely six months, so they would never be able to have their own real memories with their mother, she would only live on through stories they were told: Caitlyn, Caliyah, and Cartier.