03| how to give a first hug

BLAKELY:

"You know that I don't accept bribes" I said licking my ice cream with one hand and holding the rope of swing from the other. We had no plan of eating ice cream but Kev suddenly suggested that we should go for some. Was I suspicious of him? A lot!

"I won't give you even if you accepted," Kev sassily replied, looking ahead of him. Kev had strong teeth so he had already eaten the ice cream but I bet he hadn't enjoyed it. "Admire me all you want,"

I rolled my eyes at this guy's confidence. Yes, he was good looking but I won't accept it in front of him. "Are you even a sight to admire?"

"Apparently," He shrugged as if he was not bothered by the fact that I was not interested in him because this always happened between us. "Look at them... hugging each other,"

He pointed his eyebrows at one couple in the park who were holding hands just a while ago but now they were embracing each other. "That's beautiful,"

"You think hugs are beautiful?" I was bewildered. Does Kev have alien thinking? Hugs are beautiful. They are the prettiest and subtlest indication of love. Any kind of love. "I think it's time people realize hugs are just-"

"I think hugs are underrated," I frowned as I saw the nonchalant look on his face. Kev definitely disagreed with me. I knew and I was angry!

"They are not. They have the importance they deserve or more precisely they are overrated," My mouth fell agape as I heard him. All this time we had been friends but we never talked about this. Had I been known of this before I would have already changed his thinking. At least I would have tried.

"I don't know what world you live in Kev, but the world I live in, they are not considered as important as they should be," I stood up from the swing and gave him a serious look, eating the last bit of my ice cream. He can think like that if he wants but I am not going to change my thinking.

"Would you prove me wrong then? Show me that hugs are the real deal," The look on Kev's face was challenging. There was something going inside his mind. Fine! Then something was going inside my mind too!

"Gladly," I crossed my arms against my chest as I smirked. If not before then now... I would hug- "WAIT! NO," Nothing was going inside my mind!

The realization suddenly dawned upon me. We had never shared a hug. It was unbelievable and funny but it was the truth. I can not prove Kevin that hugs are a real deal until I hug him.

"Now that you realized that you have accepted the challenge are you backing away? Scared to fall in love with me?" There it was, the grin on his face that I so wanted to wipe. There must be other ways... There have to be other ways!

"I am not,"

"Are you implying that you are going to fall in love with me in the end?"

"Do not be so cheeky. It could be you falling for me first,"

"If I fall in love with you then so be it... That will prove that the hugs you love are able to make someone feel same,"

♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷

"So I fell sick one day and your crush talked to you and you stroke a deal with Wilder," Maya spoke from the other side after I told her the happenings of the day. "Tragedy, I missed school,"

I smiled at her dramatic antics. Maya was always the one to exaggerate things a little. "Technically our deal happened after school so you didn't miss much,"

"So how are you planning to do that... That hug deal of yours," I could hear her smile at the end. Maya thought it was ridiculous. Me and Kev are two idiots and nothing else.

"I don't know. Maybe I should just go and hug him," I shrugged as if Maya could see me. I really have no idea how to do it. Good thing was that I have two days to think this through.

"Yeah and boom! Wilder believes that hugs are magical,"

"This is not some fairytale. It's gonna take time. I know he isn't the guy to accept things at the first try," I know Kev like the back of my palm. We had been together for a good couple of years and our friendship was still going strong.

"As I told you that it's stupid. I mean I didn't believe that zombies exist but seeing you two I think they did and you both have been a victim of them," I laughed as I played with the necklace given to me by my mother. "I kind of get why are you best friends. No brains best friends,"

"Think all you want Maya but I am going to win this and I am going to change his thinking," I was determined and once I was determined, nothing could faze me.

♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷

I tried to come up with a lot of different ideas through the days but all of them weren't efficient. I am dumb. I shouldn't have accepted the challenge. This determination was fazed! I had scribbled all of my ideas on a paper but I put a big X on them later. Nothing will be going to work out.

I felt like I was doing something impossible. I thought of giving Kev a big teddy bear plushie but he would laugh at me. I thought of scarring him and maybe he would hug me out of fear but then it was Kev, he wasn't scared of ghosts at all. One time he suggested that we should go on a expedition to a locked house in our area but I quickly shut up that Detective Pikachu. Reptiles would definitely make him shriek and hug me but before that it would make me shriek so I am not risking my life just for a hug.

Two days had already passed and I had to go to school tomorrow. In these two days I even told Kev to not bother me since I was thinking so hard. He laughed and wished me good luck. He knew I am so going to lose this!

Lying on the bed I tried to sleep but my mind kept running in directions. That night I had to force myself to sleep. I bet my dreams would be about it too.

♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷

Even till morning I didn't come up with any idea so I decided to go with the one I came up with the first time.

The nervousness that was settled in my stomach as I walked out my home was sickening. Kev was leaning against the fence of our home and I gulped. Don't show him you are tense.

He waved at me enthusiastically as his eyes found me and I tried to wave back.

"I haven't seen you for two days. Why do you look different?" When I stayed silent he quirked his eyebrow at me in question. "What?"

"Well," I closed my eyes for a second to gather all the courage I could and then opened them and smiled at Kevin. "So I kept thinking about it. How should I give you the first hug..."

"And?"

"I thought to catch you off guard but it won't make much difference. I came up with no idea so... Right now Kev I'll give you a first hug. I'm telling you because I thought maybe a heads up would be a good thing for the first time,"

Kev didn't blink. He continued to stare at me as if I had grown a pair of horns of my head. He didn't budge so I moved forward and wrapped my arms around his neck loosely. I had to tiptoe a little to do so. I felt his body go rigid against me and truth to be told I felt like I was going to die from high palpitations!

We both stood there awkwardly. I didn't know what he was thinking but right now I wondered... Is this how one feels when you hug your best friend?

 Is this how one feels when you hug your best friend?