14| what we love, we mention

BLAKELY:

Days were blurring into weeks and weeks were into month. The cold had picked up its pace. The days had gotten quite chillier. First snow was also predicted in a few days. We were now one and a half months away from finals. Both basketball and football matches were going in full swing. The football matches started a week later than the basketball match. I desperately wanted to attend the opening match but there was no one to accompany me. Maya had agreed to go with me but a day before the match her family had to go to her aunt’s.

It was my own decision to not budge Kev for my own fun. He was already very busy in his studies and his practice, bonus; tutoring me for Chemistry. 

At times I wanted to be able to enjoy things alone but I could not get used to it. Being alone made me sick. When I tried to enjoy alone it all felt like fake enjoyment. 

Hence, I was unable to attend the match. My father was at his work so I spent my whole day with Kev’s parents. Kev was gone for team practice. Honestly, I think that was cruel. He already had been practicing five days a week. Can’t the teams have two day off? They also have to pass the finals.

In between the month that passed, our school won two football matches and one basketball match. We did lose one basketball match but the coach had mentioned that losing one was fine. We just have to win the last match to reach the finals. I didn’t know what the recent score was but one team was already in the finals while one was already out. Coincidentally, I had not gone in the game we lost. There were not just assignments piled up on me but one of our relatives was admitted into hospital so me and my father had to visit her.  

And later I heard a sulky and sad Kev on the phone who had confessed that he cried because of the loss. He also mentioned that it was because of me not going to the game. He was a tad bit too much with his ‘you are my lucky charm’ statement. 

The happy things that happened were that Daris was sitting with us at lunch time. Before, he used to sit with his basketball team mates but now he was sitting with us… Actually Maya. The second happy thing that happened was that three top universities in town tried to scout Kev and Daris but he asked for time. He was still thinking. I tried to think like him sometimes. He was probably afraid of injuries and retirement or there could be other reasons.

The last match between our school and Oak Hills Academy would determine the other finalist. 

I had found another reason for happiness nowadays. It was when Owen messaged me after his first game. He told me he tried to find me that day and just the message had made me smile. After that day we were talking freely. Whenever he would be free he would drop messages and I’ll reply to him when I was free. 

My and Kev’s deal was still there though it felt like it went on a hiatus. For the first time in years we both were not able to spend much time together. It was either in the morning when we went to school, during our classes or sometimes when he would drop me home. Due to his practice ending at five or six almost everyday he told me that I should leave early. 

After one month Kev finally had some time so he suggested that we should go to our secret spot. Our secret spot was a garden that was hidden in between the trees. It was a 20 minute walk from our homes.

There was a pathway at the end of the neighbourhood that led to a fountain. Behind it was a small forest. It was an accident when both me and Kev went a little too deep into the forest. 

Exploring our way in, we found a beautiful place after a couple of minute walk. A wall was built in the middle of the way that separated this side from the other. The wall had a circle opening shown in fantasy movies. It was a short brick tunnel. Ahead of it was a few stairs that led upwards in front of a gazebo.