perfect day

you walked into his room that morning quietly. he hated making a big spectacle of his birthday but you wanted to do something nice since you two had began dating five months ago. you met at a summer program your parents forced you to go to and todd was placed in the same situation. over time you coaxed him out of his shell. it took time for him to become accustomed to you but once he did, he never wanted to leave your side.

he was a pretty sleeper. just like how he was a pretty boy. his short hair still found a way to be messed up underneath his surplus of blankets. he looked so at peace when he slept. his face was squished up since he slept on his side. he had his hands holding onto the blankets so it would cover his shoulders. he loved to sleep in later, especially on weekends like this, but you woke him up anyways.

"what?" his voice was groggy and he wiped his eyes.

"todd, i want to show you something." you smiled.

neil was pretending to be asleep in bed as all of this was happening. all of the poets were somewhat in on the surprise. todd didn't tell any of them it was his birthday but you couldn't keep your mouth shut. he was turning sixteen after all.

"it's 7am," he rolled onto his back, "can't this wait till later?"

"todd." you dragged out his name a little more.

he took that as a last call. he dragged himself out of bed. you smiled as he slowly put on his jacket and forced on his slippers. both of you were dressed in your pajamas. he had on a simple white shirt and red plaid pants while you had on one of his sweaters and grey sweatpants. you two looked like messes but it wouldn't matter in a few minutes.

"where are we going?" his voice was still slightly groggy.

"you'll see, baby." you took his hand. you two quietly walked down the steps. for the first time, the dog had yet to wake up. he was smiling as the both of you rushed out of the school.

"you have to tell me!" he laughed quietly.

he could tell that you were running to the cave but he still loved the excitement of it all. you did too. being with him made you feel alive, even in the simplest of moments.

by now the two of you made your way easily to the cave. it was a quiet walk. a few snapped branches here and there, but other than that you held each other's hands and kept on walking. he would make sure the two of you intertwined your fingers because he saw it as a sign you would never let go. todd was someone who loved the little things in life.

you both got to the entrance of the cave. he was still tired and wiping his eyes but smiled at the sight inside. there was a small quilt in there meeks had lended you with a pile of books on top you got from cameron after begging for a bit. knox gave you two a few pillows so you would be comfortable. next to the books was a small breakfast. a few pieces of toast and juice that charlie stole from the kitchen. charlie had offered to "serenade" the two of you with his saxophone but pitts and meeks finished their radio just in time so they let you two borrow it. neil found candles anywhere he could and went out to light them all early that morning.

"y/n," he smiled, "you didn't have to do all this."

"it's my favorite boys birthday. of course i did." you walked into the cave while he still stood outside it. you turned around to look at him.

"todd, c'mon."

"i love you."

you never knew what emotion to expect when he finally said "i love you." there was an overwhelmingly happiness. he loved you. the words seem so simple but that wasn't true at all. love isn't simple.

you quickly walked out of the cave as he stood there with shaking hands. he gave you a panicked look that disappeared when your lips touched his. he melted into the kiss. his hands were around your waist while yours were on his face. you could feel him hiding a smile the longer you two kissed. his lips were dry from the cold as well as yours. despite that, neither of you cared.

you pulled away, "just so you know. i love you too."