Chapter 23: A Forgotten Recollection Part 1

"Mari! Mari!" The little boy called in panic as he shook the body of a woman that was lying on the ground. Her uniform was torn apart with dirt and dyed in red. Many wounds were visible behind her white fur. Her face was pale and her eye bags became darker due to blood loss.

"Y-young master..." With great difficulty, she muttered while trying to reach her hand to him.

"What should I do? It won't stop flowing... Mari, what should I do?" He cried as the smell of metal became stronger and the soil became red. Tears kept dripping on the back of his small hand as he grabbed her clothes. "Because of me... Because of me..."

"It's... g-good... you're... okay..." She coughed more blood as he looked at the boy gently. Softly and slowly, she gathered her strength to talk. "Be... a... good... boy... when... *cough* I'm... not... around... any... more... kay...?"

"No, Mari! Don't die!" She shook his head in denial. "You are my maid, aren't you? You're supposed to listen to my order, aren't you? Don't die! Don't die! Don't die!"

Despite the boy's command, the maid seemed unable to fulfill her master's last order. Leaving a smile, her hand that previously held the child's head fell down as she closed her eyes. Her breath gradually became slower and weaker.

"Don't..." Becoming hoarse from shouting, he could do nothing but bury his face in her clothes. He was smudged with blood and dirt as he kept weeping with a face full of grief.

"Don't leave me alone..."

***

"Damn you piece of sh*t!"

"Your face is full of sh*t!"

"Bring it on, b*tch!"

"I f*ck your mom!"

"Putang ina mo!"

Shout after shout could be heard as a group of rogues kept throwing fists at each other. It was another day in the slum area near the outskirts of the city. Since it was a district where the level of public order was the lowest, many fights happened there. It had already become a home for thugs and rogues to roam around. A lot of graffiti showing gang names could be seen along the concrete wall.

Right now, a group of people-not many, just about 6-7 people-were fighting at one of the narrow alleys in that district. Both sides were fighting aggressively with all they had. They destroyed the property around them in the process, which resulted in the cry of the owners that could do nothing about it. One particular person stood out from most of them.

"Son of a b*tch!" A brown bear in a black leather jacket kicked the rogue in the chest hard, making him fly to his friend. His dog tag necklace swayed, reflecting the light of the sun. Wiping the blood that came out from his nose, he spitted to the ground.

"Come on, is that all you got!?" He taunted.

"Don't get cocky, brat!" The opponent got up with the help of his friend while glaring at him angrily. "We have more people than you! You think you can win?"

"Stop b*tching around, b*tch! I could take two of you easily at the same time! Come if you dare!"

"Bastard!" The friend who helped him earlier got triggered and started attacking. The arctos position his arms forward to protect his head and prepare a counterattack. After blocking his opponent's fist, he punched the other's jaw, left cheek, and stomach continually. Receiving a continual attack, the opponent could only get pushed back in pain.

"Haaa!" Suddenly, a person tried to tackle him from behind. Using his body weight, the bear resisted and slammed his body to the person instead. The attacker whined in pain as his body felt like it was crushed.