Chapter 1: Friend With Benefits

"Kevin, please lift this box from the counter."

"Yes, manager," I answered and did as he said before wiping the sweat on my forehead. It was already closing hours in the pet shop I worked in. The other workers had already gone home, leaving me with the manager alone.

"Just a little more and it will be done," I murmured.

"Arf-arf-arf!" A small pomeranian ran around me excitedly. He barked while wagging his small tail at a fast speed.

"Hey, Polly. Did you have fun today?" I lifted the small dog and touch his nose with mine. He licked my face like he tried to tell me that I had worked hard.

A persian cat walked towards me and rubbed its head on my legs. She meowed at me as she tried to get my attention.

"Oh, hey Stella. You are awake now?" I squatted as I tried to scratch her neck with one hand. Polly who was on my other hand struggling and barking, trying to get more attention.

"You're really close to them, huh? They even try to steal your attention away from each other." The manager looked at us as he laughed.

I just smiled and put them in their cages gently. "Well, they are already like family to me."

"True. Now that I think about it, it has been more than a year since you started working here. Time sure passed quickly." He rubbed his chin as he watched me dealing with the other animals. "Well, I'm more than happy to have a diligent worker like you in here. Keep up the good work will you?"

"Yes, manager," I shouted and continued to tidy up the pet toys on the floor.

It felt like it had only been yesterday since I applied to work here.

It was a mere coincidence that I found this place. This place which was filled with animals somehow filled me with happiness. At that moment, I realized that I'm an animal lover and immediately I applied to work here.

The manager was right. Time sure passed by really quickly.

"It's time for me to get home," I murmured to myself while humming. There was something that made it so that I couldn't wait to get home.

After I changed my clothes, I took my bag and walked toward the exit. "I'll leave now, manager. Good evening."

"Okay, see you tomorrow." He said while he was busy checking the ledger of adopted animals here.

As I opened the door and walked out the cold wind hit me. The bell on the door rang as I closed the door.

I tightened my scarf as white vapor came out from my mouth. It was already dark outside. Winter nights could be colder than anything else. It would be better if I could get home pretty soon.

"Hey, Kevin. Took you long enough to come out."

I heard someone calling my name. As I turned around, there was a handsome man with a tall build leaning on the wall with both hands in his jeans pockets. Even though he was wearing a lined denim jacket and jeans, it looks well on him. The way he posed and gazed made him look like a playboy.

I was surprised upon seeing him. "Did you wait for me?"

"Sure did. You looked like you were enjoying yourself there." He raised one eyebrow. "Is it really that fun to play with animals?"

"Oh, sure it's fun, compared to standing outside in the cold weather like you."

"Khehehehe, nice comeback."

We walked beside each other, or to be precise, he followed beside me.

"So, what business do you have with me at this hour? I don't remember us having any plans to meet up today."