11 - 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘭𝘺 𝘕𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘥𝘦

I sat down in my seat staring at the scribbled wooden desk while glimpses of her auburn hair waved beside me. Her strawberry locks twirled around her index finger fantasizing of the forbidden fruit that stood in front of us, a ruler held tight in his hand. He played with his wedding band as she spoke.

Her hair resembled a field of berries, but she wasn't sweet like they were. The familiar unknown eerie feeling sat in my stomach, same as the day I stared at the Scarlett colored strawberry bushes hidden behind her gave at the cemetery.

"Maddy??" The girl's high pitched voice says in a tone like she has been trying to get a hold of me for hours.

"Oh yeah?" I snap back to reality. I cannot stand talking to her. At first she was okay, just kind of bubbly, now every time I hear her breathe I want to shove my hand down her throat and rip out her vocal cords.

"What's wrong pumpkin? You have been acting weird ever since the Cabin, aw did you and Billie get into a fight?" Ali says, placing her cold hand on my shoulder pouting her lips. Why did she call me Pumpkin?

"No, I'm just tired." Actually I want to murder you.

"Alison and Maddy stop chatting and listen." Mr. Goode says stopping in the middle of his sentence while teaching us about how Macbeth used Deadly Nightshade as poison in the Shakespeare play which literally no one cares about.

"I'm sorry Sir." Ali says to Mr. Goode looking up to him with her puppy dog eyes, as he coughs and fixes his posture getting back to teaching.

The tension is so strong between them, I could toast a piece of bread with the heat she's giving off.

Every minute since I was under the cold icy waters of the pitch black lake, the flames of Ali's tattoo burned my eyes. I want to tell Billie but I'm conflicted. What if she doesn't believe me? I mean she has known Alison way longer than I have known her, they grew up together.

Besides, what proof do I have? Scar said she was being bullied by a girl with a flame tattoo, and even if Ali did bully her I had no idea whether she was the one who killed her. She may not have pulled the trigger but my gut tells me she was involved. I just know it.

After what felt like an eternity the loud sound of the bell ringing triggered all the students to hurry up and pack their bags for lunch scrambling around like bees in a hive.

"Hey Maddy, I need to ask Mr. Goode a question about the homework I'll see you at lunch. Maybe we can finish the questions together!" She says packing up her pink pencil case with the rest of her books.

"Yeah!" Right.

I stood up from my seat and slung my light bag over my shoulder knocking over a piece of paper sitting on Alison's side of the desk. I bent down to pick it up watching Alison's slim pale hand reach for a paper mirroring mine. My breath hitched as I read her signature at the top of the page.

I knew it. She really thinks she has me fooled. My heart was in my throat, my breath getting heavy looking at the signature on the light beige paper in front of me.

 My heart was in my throat, my breath getting heavy looking at the signature on the light beige paper in front of me