20 - 𝘔𝘰𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘯𝘦

Crimson Red, find the moonstone

where you rest your head.

Only when you are alone,

will the crescent be shown.

Those two sentences stuck in my brain like a piece of gum sticking to my shoes. Never letting you go, and always making yourself wonder how you didn't notice it at first.

I searched my messy room for a clue, but nothing showed up. Not to mention the multiple times I checked on ,under ,and inside my pillowcase, but nothing.

"Where you rest your head.." I whispered to myself trying to figure out what it meant.

I checked every place I could rest my head. The couch, the walls, the bed, the bathtub, literally everything, even the oven and every part of the house  but nothing appeared and the lightbulb in my head still stayed dark. Did the message even have a meaning?

Not to mention the key that led to nowhere. It didn't match any type of box or door in Scars room or mine, and when I snuck into Ali's it didn't look like she had anything that had a tiny lock on it  either.

Ugh. I groan out as my back hits my soft purple sheets, frustrated by trying to figure everything out.  Not only the key and the note, I mean everything. What the fuck happened in the past? Why all the secrets? Is this key just one of Ali's twisted games?

I close my eyes for a moment trying to relax even though my brain feels like a whirlpool of information and emotions.

Ding. Dong.

I put the sound of the doorbell ringing in the back of my head as I grab my pillow and shove my face into the ruffled lavender texture, trying to block out any sound.

"Maddy, sweetie Billie is here she said you haven't been answering your phone or the house phone." My mom says in the hallway making her voice sound muffled behind the wooden door. Those words made me shoot straight up.

"Tell her I don't feel good. I don't want to talk." My heart fell in my stomach knowing she was only a few feet away from me.

"But she looks really sad, I feel sorry for her and she brought something for you." Is she deaf? What part of I don't want to see her doesn't she understand?

"Maddy-"

"MOM I SAID NO!" I say loudly to make her go away. I love her but she never listens to me.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Oh my god. I get up angrily off my bed and stop towards the door turning the steel handle, flinging the door wide open.

"MOM I SAID I DON'T WANT TO...see her." I slow my words down when I see it's not my mom behind the door...but her.

I looked into Billie's eyes for a moment before re-living the pain I had when I last saw her. I looked over her shoulder to my mom, giving me a guilty  look.

"Sorry I just thought you should talk it out together..." My mom says shortly before walking back downstairs.

"Maddy..." Billie says softly, causing my heart to beat faster as she walks in the room shutting the door behind her.

"What do you want? I say looking away from her eyes and walk back to my bed facing away from her.

"Can you like talk to me?" She says with a huff as she puts a container filled with mini muffins on my desk.