Day One: Part One

(A/N: that up there is the castle that was used as the base for the whole experiment

(A/N: that up there is the castle that was used as the base for the whole experiment. It's a real place and I thought it looked quite lovely. It's also in Transylvania so it fits the setting.)

Word count →_→ 1440 words

☣️☣️☣️

Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath. He thought it would steady his nerves but alas it was no use. He had hoped by the time he got here that he would be prepared for it all. What had the man, Rowen, called it? Some clinical trial or whatnot. Now, as he walked behind the ginger haired man, Alexander couldn't help but feel uneasy. He eyed the back of Rowen's head, contemplating how to ask about the whole thing. Sure, they had told him the basics. These people were developing some sort of drug to cure covid and they needed his help. In return, his father would be pardoned and allowed to come back home.

Despite this information, he was still clueless as to what his role would be. How was he supposed to help them? Deciding that he would get no answers through his assumptions, he finally spoke up.

"So... what exactly am I to do here, Mr. Rudolph?" he asked. "You said you needed my help? How do I help?"

Rowen never turned around to face him as he answered.

"I'll let the real brains behind this whole thing explain that to you, kid." Rowen replied. "As you might have guessed, I'm just the ground man. I'm simply following orders like any other soldier here. But the gist of it is as I told you. You're here to help with the clinical trials."

"Okay." Alex simply said, although deep down he felt like the man could give him the answers he wanted. "Lead the way then."

After what seemed like forever walking along the hallway of the large castle, they came to the basement which Alex assumed was were all the science people were hanging out. It was not the regular creepy basement that one would expect. Okay, maybe the volt type steel doors with retina scans and thumb print locks were a little too much but, then again, these people were dealing with some important work that they felt needed protecting. Still, Alex could not help but be a little uneasy.

What sort of clinical trials needed that much security?

His line of thought was interrupted when the large door suddenly swinged open to reveal an auburn haired man in a lab coat who bore a strong resemblance to Rowen.

"Rowen, took you long enough to get here." the man said as he broke into a grin.

"Try going halfway around the globe then you will understand the delay." Rowen said. Unlike the man in front of him, he wore no smile. His face only showed his annoyance. "Anyways, Dan, this is Alexander Maxwell. Alex, this is Doctor Daniel Rudolph, the Head of R & D for the World Health Organization. He's the one in charge of this whole project."

"Rudolph? You're family?" Alex asked as he looked from one to the other, finally understanding the resemblance.

"Unfortunately he's my brother." Doctor Daniel said with a roll of his eyes.