Day five : part three

Word count →_→ 1 801 words

☣️☣️☣️

"Well this sucks," Thomas, a young talented reporter whined as he and his team mates trudged through the building. "Four years of journalism school only to chase headlines in a god-damned zoo."

He swiped the strands of his neon blue dyed hair from his face. The humid air in the building did not help at all as he was now sweating buckets. He cursed his choice of wardrobe for the day. While his usual leather ensemble was considered stylish and sassy, he was feeling the backlash with the insane temperature.

"Technically, it's a rehabilitation home for animals." One of his team mates, Melissa, corrected him.

"Nobody cares what it is. It's a shit hole is what it is!" Thomas snapped. "And because we're the rookies, we get slapped with this kind of dog shit."

She was a timid little thing, easily startled which is why she was immediately upset by his response.

"So what if it is? Suck it up like the rest of us and do your fair share of it!" Snapped another one of his team mates. Kade.

He was a really buff guy. Anyone would think the guy was a body builder, or a professional wrestler, maybe even a biker. Certainly not a news reporter. His goatee was well trimmed whilst his dark hair was held back and hidden beneath the blue bandana he always wore. He wore a golden limited edition Metallica ring on the middle finger on his right hand.

"Yeah, whatever." Thomas snorted as he strutted on, leading them into the somewhat abandoned building.

"Where is everybody?" Melissa asked curiously.

Her green eyes squinting in the semi darkness, she tried to identify any signs of life.

"They obviously ran off." Thomas replied. "Did you see those monkey bodies they pulled from the place in the morning? Anyone with any sense would leave this place. Question is, how the heck did they get a rabies outbreak and not see it coming?"

"We'll have to ask the people who run the place when they come back. Gunner sent me some emails and phone numbers. Let me try to contact one of them." Kade said in a gruff voice as he took out his phone and broke off from the group. "You two keep searching."

"Huh? Hold up " Thomas began as he followed him towards the corner he was heading to.

He found his team mate already dialling his phone.

"Splitting up in a place like this is dumb, even for you big guy." He said. "Let's all stick together in case one of the feral beasts jumps out of nowhere."

"What's the matter, Tom? You're usually more of a daredevil. This scaredy cat face is new to me." Kade taunted with a devilish grin.

"Piss off, okay. I don't need your bullshit." Thomas snapped, crossing his hands together in an act of defiance.

"And I don't need your bitchy attitude right now." Kade replied, cursing when he got no response from his calls.

"If I recall, you quite like this bitchy attitude of mine." Thomas retorted, flicking his hair back in a flirtatious manner.

He strolled casually towards him in a feline manner, never once breaking eye contact.

Both their eyes were dilated as they regarded each other in a lustful manner. Kade reached out to touch his face but stopped when they suddenly heard Melissa call out.

"Boys! I think I hear a phone ringing somewhere!" She called out.

They pulled away from each other awkwardly just as the brunette made her way towards them.