Day Three : Part Two

Word count →_→ 557 words

☣️☣️☣️

He was sleeping facing the opposite direction when she entered. Hearing her enter, he turned his head slightly to face her.

"Is age finally catching up with you, Diana? You're late." He said with a smirk although she could pretty much see he was in pain but he was holding it in.

"Ha! Well, I have super hero errands to run, Neo. I don't need to tell you that." She replied with her own smile, trying to lighten the mood. "Anyway, I'm here now. Brought you a snack."

She took out the breakfast bars she had brought and held it out for him. He turned his body gingerly, sitting up slowly, but with great difficulty, so he could see her properly.

He held out his hand to receive her gift. He truly appreciated her kind gestures. No one had ever shown him this amount of care, except for his mother although she was more protective if anything. Everyone else he knew had pretty much shunned him, treating him like he had the plague. It wasn't his fault what happened with his father and yet people were always treating him and his mother like outsiders. Having someone who didn't see him that way was refreshing.

With a smile, he tore open the wrapper on the bar and took a large bite, chewing slowly to savor the rich chocolate taste.

"Okay, I'll just check on the machinery, like yesterday and then I'll get about to..." She hadn't finish speaking when he started vomiting.

"Alex!" She exclaimed as she tried to give him some form of support.

She immediately rushed to call Misty in. The assistant wasted no time in getting there. Of course by then, even if it was less than two minutes, Alex had collapsed.

"I've reached out to Doctor Rudolph, he'll be here soon." Misty said to the Emilia. "But right now there's nothing you can do. I'm sorry but I need you to give me and my team a little space as I'm going to try to resuscitate him."

All Emilia could do was stare as a whole bunch of people started rushing around. Someone came in with a ventilator and immediately started setting it up. All the while, she stood there like a statue. She was frozen on the spot slowly processing all that was happening.

No, this can't be happening. She thought to herself. I thought I finally found something, someone worth keeping. Am I about to lose it all again?

She was snapped out of her daze by Misty calling out to her.

"Emilia, I think it's best if you get that sample now." She said.

Emilia was confused a bit until she suddenly remembered the short conversation she had had with Misty outside the lab. With a steel expression, Emilia asked for a syringe from one of the doctors and with it, although she was feeling uneasy, she drew a sample of blood from Alex's unconscious body.

Nobody questioned her. They all thought she was doing her regular work procedures. When she was done, she forced herself to turn around and walk away.

She couldn't help but feel like she left part of herself on that small space as she walked away. The only consolation she had was that she was doing this for him. To protect him. Save him if need be because god knows she was prepared to go all the way to do both those things.