Chapter 26 - The Runway || Part 1

"Are you alright?" Elizabeth asked JJ the morning after his breakdown. He had mostly sobered up after being pulled away from the alcohol by Elizabeth later on in the night. Kiara and Pope had sat outside, talking over the plans yet again. JJ had attached himself to the girl after the hot tub incident as he felt like his world was falling apart, and he needed someone to hold onto.

"I'm good, I'm good," JJ responded, scratching his head. "I'm sorry that I broke down like that."

"It's okay, JJ. Please don't apologize for being upset. You did nothing wrong," the girl explained, walking towards the door. JJ reached out, grabbing the girl's wrist and bringing her back towards him. The girl stumbled, her hands landing on his chest. He spun her around, placing his hands on both sides of her waist. Her eyes widened as she pulled her hands back, but he never moved his.

"I'm not done, Thornton." JJ took a deep breath. "I'm sorry that I blew up on you and said all that shit about you. I didn't mean a single thing."

"I didn't know Barry sold to your dad," Elizabeth began. "If I had known I would have tried to stop him, I swear."

JJ grimaced and shrugged, "He would have just gotten it somewhere else. The dealer doesn't matter, all he cares about is the product."

"Regardless, I'm sorry too. I'm sorry if you felt I betrayed you in any way," Elizabeth sighed, trailing her hands down his biceps and down towards his forearms.

JJ looked at his arms, watching as she moved. "It's okay," JJ responded quickly as he swallowed anxiously.

"I just feel bad. I should have known," Elizabeth continued.

"No, no. I didn't tell you. You couldn't have known." JJ explained. "He's been an addict since my mom left."

"I'm sorry." Elizabeth continued to state, causing the boy to laugh. "I really didn't-- why are you laughing?"

He suddenly stopped, "I'm sorry. No, no, it's just kinda funny. I've never seen you like this."
"Like what?" She asked. "Apologetic?"

"Noncombative," he said. "For the first time in your life you don't look like you want to kill me."

She stared at him in disbelief, "That's because I'm trying to apologize!"

JJ raised his eyebrow at her, "I think I spoke too soon. Now you look like you want to kill me."

"Probably because I do," she said. "God, you have to be the most frustrating person on this entire planet."

JJ pretended to look shocked, "Me? You're the one who turns every conversation into an argument!"

"I do not!" She said as she eyed him. Their bodies were completely separated from each other, but they were still close. Very close.

"Yeah, you do!" He retorted.

"See, this is why we aren't friends," said the girl. She had said it jokingly, but deep down she meant it. Elizabeth had thought that they were becoming something, yet he had told her they were nothing. And truthfully, she felt hurt by it still. Even after his apology.

JJ lowered his hands, "We aren't?" She eyed his reaction. He almost looked sad as he spoke.

"That's what you said," she explained.

JJ ran his hand through his hair, his voice softening as he read her face. He could tell she was still upset. "I told you I didn't mean any of that. Didn't I?"

She crossed her arms, "Yeah. I guess you did." She looked at the boy, who was displaying an unrecognizable expression. "So we're friends?"

"Friends," he nodded.