Chapter 39 - The Darkest Hour || Part 1

John B had been immediately thrown into a holding cell after being detained by the police. His friends had to watch him be beaten and assaulted by the people meant to protect them. It was disgusting and brutal, but it was the harsh life that came with being on the wrong side of Ward Cameron.

His hearing occurred fairly quickly as there were barely any other crimes being committed on the island that the police cared enough to prosecute. His friends all watched as he was brought into the room with handcuffs on his wrists and in an orange outfit made for a prisoner. His face was badly beaten and bruised, and he looked unsurprisingly dirty.

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section , you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty," the judge spoke as if it didn't even matter, striking the gavel. People clamored around him as he realized the severity of his situation.

"Your Honor, he's seventeen!" JJ stood as he yelled forward. "No, he's seventeen! Are you kidding me?" He stared at John B as he glanced back. "Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out."

"You're going to give the death penalty to a kid?" Elizabeth yelled out. People yelled back, telling them both to be quiet. But they didn't care. Sarah rushed forward and yelled for her boyfriend, who tried to turn to see her. The officer grabbed her by the waist, pulling her back.

"Get your hands off of her!" Elizabeth yelled as she walked over to Sarah, pulling her out from the cops reach.

"Let's go, Sarah. Let's get out of here," Kiara stated as the girls walked together.

"Justice is served," one woman spoke as she left the courthouse.

"He had it coming," another man replied.

"Is this a joke? Like, are we in hell or?" Kiara asked.

"I should have never come home," Sarah mumbled.

"They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it," JJ stated as they continued to walk down the steps.

"We're not going to let it get to that point. We need to find more evidence. We just have to work harder," Elizabeth stated, Kiara immediately agreeing with her.

"We'll exhaust every option there is," she stated.

"Sorry for what you and your family have gone through. Thank God the system works," they heard a man say to Ward Cameron as he walked alongside Kelce and his family.

"Can you please shut up? Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you," Kiara said to the group of people, her face fuming as she spoke.

"He'll have his day in court. A jury will decide," the older man stated and began to walk away.

"He shouldn't even be in court! You should, 'cause you're a murderer. You have a lot of nerve showing up to court," Kiara continued her rant.

"I know you're upset. I understand you're upset, okay?" Ward attempted to reason with her.

"Upset?" Kiara almost laughed.

"I know he's got you fooled. He's got you all fooled," Ward continued.

"Your son has you fooled you piece of shit!" Elizabeth yelled towards the man who shook his head at her.

"No, I'm not just upset!" Kiara launched herself towards Ward, but was held back by a group of police officers.

"Show some respect!" Ward yelled.

"Don't touch her! Get your hands off her!" Elizabeth pulled one of the officer's hands off of Kiara's waist.

"Muzzle your goddamned dog!" JJ yelled. "Why don't you take the Kooks down for a change?"