Chapter 29 - The Phantom || Part 2

"Dude, where is he?" Kiara yelled out, noticing it was past the meeting time.

"Give him a second. He'll be here," Pope stated.

"He's coming. He'll be fine," JJ agreed.

"Cops!" Elizabeth yelled as the lights shone through the trees. A Kildaire County police car drove through the dirt road, causing the pogues to panic.

"Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat. Untie it," JJ instructed. The group watched as the driver stepped out of the car.

"Wait. No way," JJ spoke up. "You've gotta be kidding me."

"John B on the wrong side of the cop car," Elizabeth smirked at him. "Or would that be the right side?"

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin," John B shrugged as he walked towards his friends.

"Okay. That's believable. I'll buy that for now," Kiara stepped forward, giving him a hug.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you, and she runs like she was made yesterday. You ready to go?" JJ asked.

"Where's Sarah?" Asked John B.

"I thought she was coming with you?" Elizabeth asked the boy.

"No, we got separated in the swamp. She said she'd meet me here," explained John B.

"No, we haven't seen her," Pope explained.

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her," John B stated.

"John B, look at me. I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, all right?" JJ explained. "Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that? Brownsville. You... Hey! You got that?"

"Yeah, yeah. Brownsville," John B repeated.

"All right. Saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this. Yeah," JJ exclaimed.

"Hey. Hey. I'm sorry for basically... throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing," John B stated, on the verge of tears.

"Hey, John B, yo... we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ stated, causing John B to laugh. The pogues all choked back tears as they watched John B stand on the boat. "At least we did it together, though." JJ pulled Elizabeth, Kiara, and Pope close to him, wrapping his arm around their necks. "Pogue style."

"Pogue style," John B whispered back.

"Get out of here! Please," Kiara pushed.

"We'll see you in two months, down in Mexico," Pope stated.

"Love you," JJ called out.

"Hey, wait... wait a second." John B turned around. "Tell Sarah I said goodbye, okay?"

"Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?" JJ reminded the boy as he jumped into the drivers chair.

"Got it," John B stated. The pogues helped him push off the dock, watching in silence as he took off onto the water.

Kiara and Pope walked away to talk, leaving JJ and Elizabeth sitting around in silence.

"God, I really hope this plan works," Elizabeth mumbled as she stared off at the water.

JJ sighed, walking towards her and standing by her side. "Me too."

"You don't have to worry about me, you know." Elizabeth eyed the boy. "I can take care of myself."