Chapter 9

• • •

• • •

"Don't tell me what to do,

Don't tell me what to say."

• • •

I followed Mr. Shelby along the familiar streets of Birmingham, tailing behind him as he strutted down the road. After a few minutes, we finally reached the garrison pub. I had been here numerous times, always a drunk man with too much money in their pocket for my liking. But, it was alright as far as pubs went around these sorts.

Entering the pub, we immediately turned right into the small private room. Sat at the table where two men were busy chatting away with drinks in front of them. Two men I recognised instantly; they were the ones who had chased me through the streets. Immediately, at the sight of me, they jumped up with their hands reaching for their weapons.

"Who the fuck let him in?" The older one spat out gruffly, staring daggers at me.

"I did, Arthur, so sit down. We have business to discuss." Tommy replied swiftly, yet the tension failed to seize as I took my seat opposite the men.

"This here is the thief who broke into our house..." Tommy began.

"We know the fuck who he is, Tommy! Why the hell is he here?" The younger one interrupted, hand still itching for his gun.

"He's here, Johnny boy, because he's gonna help take down Kimber and his men," Tommy stated, causing both the men and me to reply in unison:

"I am?"

"He is?"

"Look, Billy Kimber hired him to steal from us. We need someone who can get in and out of places without drawing attention to themselves. You see, the Lee's will steal every bookie's bag from Kimber's men, and we will return it."

"Right, and where does this guttersnipe play into it?" Arthur queered, causing me to stare at him for using the word 'guttersnipe'. I was no 'guttersnipe'; as far as street kids went, I was reasonably dressed and neatly kept; but people like me were always looked down upon.

"I'll need someone to get the bags to me without being seen. That will be you." Tommy announced, turning his head to look towards me as I nodded in response, considering the job. It would be easy enough to sneak around unnoticed, what with my practice. What surprised me, though, was the trust Thomas Shelby was already placing on me. I knew this man would one day rule this side of the Thames; only a fool or an honest man would turn down working for him.

"How do we know he won't make a run for it?" John asked.

"He's a free man. He can go wherever he pleases, but if he's smart, he won't. You see, boys, once Kimber is gone,  there's no stopping us..."

"Spare me the 'world is your oyster' crap. I'm in."  I replied, interrupting Tommy. I had concluded I would never be a fool or an honest man... or rather a woman.

"Good lad," Thomas replied with a nod.

• • •

"Attention!" Arthur shouted, leaping onto a crate in front of me and some other blinders.

"Right. This is what's known as your final briefing before going over the top. Sixty miles down that road is Cheltenham racetrack," Arthur lectured. 

This was the day, the day I would prove I was worth all that and more to Thomas Shelby. I never once cared for gangs in my life, but when an opportunity like this comes around where you can make a small fortune, you would be mad for saying no.

"Johnny, what's our mission?" 

"To stick it to the Lee family, Arthur!" John shouted back. 

"That's right. The Lees are skimming money off legal bookies. Running, chalk, selling raffles, beating up them as won't buy." He spoke out, handing a flask that was soon passed down the line of men and boys.

"But today, we're going to stop them."

"What about Kimber's men? I thought he had his protection?" I queered, trying to work out why we were doing this job. But, it was clear I wouldn't be trusted with the bigger Shelby plans until I had proven my worth to them.

"Kimber's let his men go rotten. They're on the take from the Lees to look the other way. We are going to show Kimber how it should be done. Now take what you're good at. Those of you with guns, keep them out of it unless a gun is pulled on you. We want this done quietly" I stayed back, letting the others take weapons, knowing my knife sat ready in my pocket, for if and when I needed it.

"So when do we share out the cash?" One of the men asked.

"We don't. We're not keeping the cash. You're in Tommy's army now, boys. You pass the bags to this kid, and he will get them to Tommy." Arthur replied with a slight uneasiness. His tone alone told me he didn't think I would follow through.

"Let's go." He shouted as we all piled into the back of the van.