Chapter 10

• • •

• • •

"Ain't got much to say,

Before I let you get away."

• • •

"Wait here, boy, keep watch," Arthur ordered as the group stalked into the male's bathroom, following the Lee brother dressed in burgundy.

Waiting outside, I kept my head down, going unnoticed in the busy hallway. Dressed in a shirt, dark, worn, trousers, light-knitted grey jumper and cap, I blended in as a mere unimportant boy.

My mind went over the plan that Thomas had given me. I was to take the fire escape route up the back corridors and meet him outside Kimber's private lounge area. A loud groan from the bathroom broke my thought process; noticing some passers-by had also heard, causing them to show uneasy expressions. What the fuck were they doing? I thought Arthur said this was going to be quiet. Considering quick on how to disperse the attention, I spoke up:

"Lost his money on fast women and slow horses," with a fake laugh causing the men and women to chuckle awkwardly before they continued down the hallway. I let out a slight sigh, knowing that even if they had brought my lie, we needed to get a move on. 

After a few minutes, John poked his head out of the bathrooms with five bookies bags under his arms. 

"Bout time," I mused, approaching him at the door to the gents.

"Yeah, yeah, get these to Tommy. You get caught. You're on your own." He replied, obviously still not keen on me.

"I'm not the one bringing all the attention", I chuckled, pointing to the blood spatter on John's shirt. Grabbing ahold of all the bags, I winced at just how heavy they were. This was going to be interesting.

• • •

Sneaking out of the main hallways and into the back abandoned corridors, I began to ascend the stairs, feeling the weight of money slowing me down. How ironic it would be, money causing me to get caught; I wouldn't have a chance running with this weight.

Coming up out of the fire exit, I paused, ensuring my path was clear before continuing through the maze of corridors. Making my way along, I could hear jazz music getting louder and louder, knowing I was close. Reaching the door, I rested against the wall, hearing the sound of chatter and laughter on the other side. Taking the bags off my tired shoulders, I reached into my pocket to check I was on time. 

The side door opened on cue, revealing Thomas Shelby and the blonde barmaid from the Garrison. I decided not to question it as I began to pass Thomas the bags.

"Got every penny back, Mr Shelby", He replied with a quick nod as he began piling his shoulders the heavy bags. My gaze shifted to the barmaid, with blonde curled hair and an expensive looking red dress.

"Nice dress. Careful wearing that colour in a place like this," I spoke with a cheeky smirk, knowing she wasn't aware it was labelling her as 'fair game' in this sort of place, observing she was trying to hide she was from a posh background. It didn't take a genius to work it out from how she held herself. 

I'm all for women's rights, what with the marches in London, but I had to play my part if I was going to stay safe in this man's world. 

Thomas gave me a slight glare whilst the barmaid stood staring at me, trying to piece the puzzle I had gifted her. It was apparent now she was a pawn in Mr Shelby's game; hell, we all were. 

"Get Arthur to buy the boy's a drink. I want to see you tomorrow at nine sharp at the betting shop," Thomas replied, instantly changing the subject as he picked up the bags before walking off through the crowd.