Chapter 16

• • •

• • •

"You never know the top 'til you get too low.

A son of a stepfather."

• • •

"Oi Harry, get up," Thomas banged his fist heavily on the girl's doors before letting himself into the room. He looked down, finding Harry still wrapped up in the covers, hair spiking in all directions.

"Today's the day, black star day." He spoke out with urgency, only receiving a groan from the half-asleep girl as she peaked her eyes out of the duvet.

"Family meeting at half ten." He spoke out with a sigh, causing Harry's brows to frown.

"I'm not family Mr Shelby." She replied to the man, voice lower than usual, as she propped herself up by her elbows.

"Just get up, lad." He chuckled; excitedness and anticipation mixed in his tone. He turned with that and exited the room to find his aunt in the kitchen.

"Watch John because he has so many depending on him. Watch Arthur because he's as like to hurt himself as anyone else. Watch Thomas. I know how he is, but he does what he does for us... I think. And watch Harry, he may not be family, but he's not a bad kid. Amen" 

"After today, there will be no need for prayers; We'll be set," Thomas spoke out, only once he knew the woman had finished her prayers out of respect for the woman who had raised him after the passing of his mother.

"Family meeting half ten." He noted before departing to finish letting all the peaky blinders know that today was the day.

• • •

Ten o'clock struck, and the betting den was filled with the extended Shelby family and trusted Peaky Blinders. Harry was sat on the stairs watching over the meeting, preparing herself for what the day would bring... bloodshed, she concluded.

"All right, I brought you all here today because this is the day we replace Billy Kimber." Thomas disclosed, instantly commanding silence across the room and halting Harry mid-thought.

"This is the day we become respectable. The day we joined the official national association of racecourse bookmakers. We've all known this day was coming; I just haven't told anyone the date."  He continued, responding to a few questions around the room. The anticipation had set upon every mind in the room.

"I'll be dealing with Kimber", He finished, stating as a matter of fact.

Once the family meeting had ended, Thomas led the way to the Garrison, men walking side by side down Watery Lane to have a pre-battle drink, as Arthur had called it. They all piled into the Garrison, where the blonde barmaid Harry had met at the races and began pouring drinks.

"Right, lads, you can have a pint and a chaser on the house. Harry, Finn nought, you hear me?" Mr Shelby shouted, earning chuckles as Arthur and John began teasing Harry for being singled out with an eleven-year-old.  A few minutes of joking around and her trying to steal John's whisky passed before the sound of the Garrison door opening. 

It was Jeremiah, the preacher. He ran straight over to Arthur, advancing that he must speak with Tommy, his face conveying panic.

Within minutes, Thomas had returned from the pub's back room, ordering everyone to get weapons. Someone had snitched.

• • •

"Alright, men, you were mainly in the war, so you know that battle plans always change and get fucked up," Thomas shouted, looking down from the platform, his eyes landing on Harry.

"Well, here it is. Things have changed. That pub is called the garrison, and now it is one. We're outnumbered three to one." He continued.

"Arthur, Scudboat, you can take the flanks." Receiving nods from both men. 

"Harry, you don't have to be here for this". Thomas suggested turning his attention back to the young 'boy' who looked so very out of place in this war.

"Pass me a gun, for goodness' sake." Her reply astounded Tommy as her voice proceeded to not waver in fear. She was composed, sharp and ready for anything to come her way, he perceived, letting a small smile fall on his face despite the dire situation. 

"Good lad." Passing the girl a pistol.

• • •

I raced down the street, feet pounding hard on the cobbles after receiving the alarm from Arthur.

"Mr Shelby, they're here," I shouted to the man I had begun to trust full-heartedly.

Once we had regrouped, it was time to advance to the frontline, right here in Birmingham. We walked down towards Kimber's men, seeing them load their weapons as they advanced towards us.

"Just give the order", Arthur said toward Thomas, causing me to gulp physically.

"It doesn't have to be like this, Kimber", Shouted across to the opposition.

"You've bitten off more than you can chew."

"Well, if we have to use guns, let's use proper guns!" Footsteps came out of the factory behind us as I turned, seeing two men walk out, one holding a machine gun. Maybe luck would be on our side today.

"You say something about being outgunned?" signalling us to all aim at Kimber's men. My arm raised out with my finger hovering above the trigger.

"Move!" Thomas's sister shouted, walking out wearing a mourning dress and pushing her son's pram into the centre of the two gangs. What the...? She began to speak of peace, yet my eyes were still scanning the crowd waiting for the fight to kick off again.

"She's right, you know..." Kimber spoke out, drawing my attention to him as I saw his finger twitch on his gun. Nervous habit...

In a split second, Billy Kimber raised his gun as I turned, shoving Thomas hard and fast out of the firing line. Not doubting for a second, his target would be anyone else. 

Pain rippled through the side of my shoulder as I dropped to the ground. Everything turned to slow motion, hearing shouts and screams echo around me. I held my arm, feeling the warm liquid of my own blood drip through my fingers as I lay rigid on the gravel.

Three footsteps sounded out along the ground before one final gunshot.

SILENCE