Chapter 21

• • •

• • •

"My hands, they were strong,

But my knees were far too weak."

• • •

"Ready for a visitor Mr Shelby?" A nurse called out as Thomas lay on the hospital bed, his body battered and bruised from the incident a couple of nights ago when he was beaten within an inch of his life. 

"No." He grunted out.

"I'm afraid I must insist." A voice he knew all too well spoke from the doorway.

"Pass m'cigarettes?" Tommy grunted out as Mr Campbell neared his hospital bed. With a light sigh, he agreed, picking them up from the table opposite the bed.

"Three nights ago, at the Co-Operative stables, there was a murder. A man named Duggan." Campbell remarked smugly, dropping the cigarette pack onto Tommy's chest.

"I need to piss... Nurse..." He tried to call out as he leaned forwards to see if she was coming. The end of Campbell's cane was forcefully shoved into his chest, pushing him down onto the bed. 

"I know it was you who carried out the murder of Mr Duggan, " he seethed, leaning over Thomas to make himself feel in control.

"As a result of the information in my possession, I can charge you with murder and that little sister of yours with abetting at any time... " Campbell continued, prodding his finger against Thomas' chest, asserting his power.

"And provide two impeccable crown witnesses, whose testimony will lead you directly to the gallows while she rots away in jail. Pity, she would be worse off than you in the long run; imagine the treatment a 'puff' 'boy' would endure..." He trailed off with a sinister look painted on his face as he abruptly grabbed hold of Mr Shelby's neck, causing him to grunt in pain as his word began to sink in.

"You are on my hook, Mr Shelby. You belong to me."

• • •

A few days had passed since that night, yet Harry refused to talk about the incident. All Pol, Arthur, John and Finn knew was that Harry had returned home at four in the morning, beaten to a pulp, and her clothes torn to shreds. She had woken up the household collapsing as she made her way through the front door. Harry was in such a state it was surprising she even managed to crawl her way home. 

The family had taken turns trying to talk to her about what had happened, yet they were all silent. They were growing in concern for the girl's mental state, pleading for her to say more than three words at a time and yet Harry was combusting inwards, feeling like a shell of her past self. 

The reality was that night would play over in her head again and again if she let it. So, it was better for her and everyone else if she just buried it, not talk about it, not think about it. She chose, in turn, only to speak, when necessary, perhaps as a subconscious decision to close herself off as her walls rebuilt.

Thomas had been away in London for quite a while, leaving Harry's mind to spiral, believing more, day by day, that he didn't have time for her or want her around. Anger grew inside as the Shelby part of her thought of it.

Trauma and thoughts aside, she had grown closer to Isaiah and Finn over the past weeks. They seemed to be the only ones in her life who didn't constantly ask if she was okay and what had happened that night. They were up for a laugh, a good play fight and some drinking... Something she had been doing all too much recently.

 • • •

Polly entered the betting den to a round of applause as her eyes found her nephew, Tommy.

"When did you get back?" Pol questioned, confusion lacing her voice.

"I didn't want to miss your birthday, Pol." He replied with a smile.

"How do you know it's my birthday? Nobody ever knows it's my birthday." She queered, not liking surprises.

"This year's different. We've got you a birthday present to unwrap."

"Have you been to see Harry since you've gotten back?" Polly queered, changing the subject.

"I'll talk to her after we've got back; she might benefit from some space for half an hour, eh?" Tommy responded, aware that he needed to talk to the girl from what John and Arthur had told him.

 • • •

There was a light knock on the door before it swung gently open, revealing Thomas. Harry was sat up in bed reading "Wind in the Willows"; her eyes not leaving the book. 

"Arthur and John are hunting down the Sabini's men who attacked you." He spoke out as he leaned against the wall. That's all he thought the men had done, jumped her. Harry breathed out an inner sigh, glad that her brother new nothing more of the events. After a few minutes of silence, he spoke again:

"I'm sorry." His voice was genuine, taking Harry aback. She nodded her head slightly, eyes remaining fixed on the page.

"Pol says you're barely eating or sleeping?" he sighed.

"I got you something while I was up in London." He passed over a brown paper parcel onto the girl's lap as she slowly moved to unwrap the gift.

The tweed material caught her eye instantly as she placed the packaging to the side, unfolding the clothes carefully. It was a suit. An expensive, tailored one at that. Consisting of a white shirt, tux, dress trousers, a blazer and a new peaky cap. Her eyes began to sting as a tear threatened to escape from her eyes as she looked up a Thomas.

"Look, I know what you are being called, now people know you're a girl... A puff, fairy, Nance, whatever. But know we're not ashamed of you. I'm... I'm not ashamed my sister wears trousers and fights better than half the men in Birmingham. You're a Shelby, full blood or half; it makes no difference." 

"Life's rocky, but I need you on your game. Feel what you're feeling and make your peace with it." Thomas concluded, showing his thick skin personality as the type who believes it is what it is and then doesn't waste a second thinking about it again.

"Now, you wear that tonight to Garrisons reopening, eh?" He changed the subject with a smile.

"Tom, I don't know..." Harry whispered.

"When has anyone's opinions ever stopped you? I'll walk you myself." Tommy decided for her.

I'm sorry for the wait on this chapter... Uni's been hectic since I started back, but I am starting to get back to writing. Hopefully I can go back to a minimum of one chapter a week!

Thank you for all the support while I've been gone too!! <3