Chapter 19

• • •

• • •

"And I wanna fight,

But I can't contend."

• • •

Harry and Thomas returned to the warehouse to find all their belongings hanging on a metal rail.

"Tommy, what the fuck we going to do. We can't deal with the Irish. Shit, imagine what Pol's going to say..." Harry tailed off as Thomas spun her around, grabbing both of her shoulders as he bent down to be eye level.

"You tell anyone about what happened today, and I'll drown you in the cut, for real this time. You're to distract the coppers while I sort this. That's all." He spoke in a deep voice, exaggerating the part that Harry was to play no role in the actual assassination.

Harry raised her hands in surrender; a confused look etched upon her face.

"Why?" She uttered, unsure why it had to be kept between them.

"If you want to be part of the family business, you do as I say. There are some things not even John and Arthur know about, and that's how this business works. You do as I say, play along, and don't fucking ask 'why'." He seethed out with frustration. His anger miss directed towards Harry rather than the danger their family was in.

"Alright, Tom, Sorry. My mouth's shut." Harry murmured, hurt underlying her tone, but she felt for Thomas. It was not a comfortable position.

• • •

The family meeting had already begun by the time Harry and Thomas had walked the cobbled streets of Watery Lane.

"I'm told only family are allowed to speak." They heard Esme utter from the stairs of the betting shop.

"Everyone's allowed to speak." Thomas declared as they stood in the doorway.

"I speak for our household..." John proclaimed, standing tall.

"This company is a modern enterprise and believes in equal rights for women." Harry looked over at Polly, whose amusement matched her own. Equal rights: now that would be the day. 

Harry's mind wandered back to the meeting with Irish, contemplating Thomas' words about her place in the family.

• • •

Polly followed Thomas into one of the offices as she slammed the door behind her.

"Tomorrow? I'm the company treasurer. You should speak to me first," she fumed. She practically raised her nephews after their mother died. And what does Thomas do? He appoints her treasurer, but never once does he consult her, anyone for that matter.

"Oh, I changed the combination", Polly revealed after watching Thomas attempt to open the safe.

"So... what's going on, Thomas? Who did you meet at the black lion?" Pettiness played on her lips with a slight smirk, knowing the small amount of power she held by withholding the combination.

"Give me the combination Polly," Thomas grunted.

"Polly, give me the combination!" He attempted again, leaning down over the desk. He didn't have time for games. With a sigh, he walked over to the door, opened it a crack and proceeded to shout for Harry.

"Oi, Harry, get in here". 

"We're in a situation where for everyone's safety, it's best if some things remain disclosed." He finally replied to his aunt. 

The door opened fully as Harry leaned against the door frame looking at Thomas expectingly. He turned with a swift nod toward the safe. Harry advanced towards it, clenching her fists and releasing them a few times as she warmed up her hands.

She leant down, blocking out Thomas and Polly's conversation as she traced her fingers over the cold metal dial. Holding her breath, Harry began to turn it, listening carefully for the sound of the cogs turning inside.

"We take the opportunity to show our hand to the Italian gangs and the Jewish gangs. The Jews control Camden town."

Harry heard the final click of the cog slotting into position as she turned the handle, opening the safe. She turned around with a proud look on her face as their discussion came to a close.

Pol looked up between her niece, nephew and the safe. A sigh escaped her lips.

"Do you know it was a fine speech you made in there about this company believing in equal rights for women." Polly began as she stood up from the desk, walking towards Harry and the safe.

"But when it comes to it, you don't listen to a word we say. Maybe you don't trust us?" As she proceeded to take a few pounds from the safe, stacking them on the side for Thomas.

"And where was she earlier?" Polly questioned, turning to Thomas, referring to Harry, who stood awkwardly.

"Harry got caught stealing."

Harry looked at Tommy, eyes widening; this was not what she thought the cover-up story would be for their meeting with the IRA

Before she could object, Pol turned towards her, clipping her ear:

"What the bloody hell were you playing at." 

"AH, Pol! What the hell? Tommy, tell her," Harry shouted, backing away from her aunt as her hand raised in an attempt to stop the beating from the older woman. 

Her eyes shifted back to Thomas, who held a blank face. Yet Harry could see a faint glint of amusement in his eye. Oh, he was going to pay for this.

"I've already told her, Polly; she only steals things when I order it." Harry glared daggers at her half-brother as she remembered his words from earlier that she needed to play along. He was testing her. 

With a sigh, she turned to her aunt:

"I'm sorry, Polly; it won't happen again."

"If it does, girl, it'll be worse than a clip round the ear," Polly replied.

"Alright, Harry, go help John in the den." Thomas interrupted with a small smile appearing on his face. He was impressed at her willingness to follow his lead.

As Harry closed the door behind her, she leaned against the wall, deciding to eavesdrop on the rest of the conversation.

"That girl's too boisterous for her own good, lacking respect." Harry heard Polly express, as Harry began to regret her decision.

"What do you expect, Pol? She's had no parental figures all her life." Thoms defended his half-sister.

"You need to discipline her, Thomas; you know what teens are like." 

"Why me, Pol? I have enough things on my hands as it is." The frown on Harry's face grew. She thought Tommy was different to everyone else. Anger started to build in her as she stormed out of the house.

"Because you're the only one she looks up to. If you don't start now, she'll bloody run riot." Polly concluded.