Chapter 15

• • •

• • •

"Truth will come out someday,

It's going to wipe that smile right off your face."

• • •

~ Harry's POV ~

Hearing loud muffled voices downstairs, I put the book 'Wind in the Willows' Thomas had leant me down onto my pillow. Swinging my feet round off the bed and down onto the floor lightly, careful not to draw attention to my eavesdropping.

Creeping along my bedroom floor, I opened the door and slipped out onto the landing. 

"Get out of this house." I heard Tommy order, his words laced with venom.

"Tommy, he's different.." Arthur tried to plead with him as I snuck further down the stairs, reaching the bottom step. 

Then I heard it. His voice. Why was he here? My head raced as I felt my throat tightening heart beating out of my chest. This had to be a dream.

Footsteps leading towards me brought me out of my panic as I looked up, finding his smug face staring right back at me. But just like that, he was gone, without a word.

Arthur stormed out after him within a second, not even sparing me a glance.

Taking a deep breath, I concluded I must find out from Thomas what he was doing here. I proceeded from the stairwell along the little hallway into the kitchen, knocking lightly on the doorframe to announce my presence.

"Is this a bad time? I can come back?" I questioned, surprised to find only Thomas and Polly left, presuming John had taken Finn into the betting den.

"No, Harry, your fine; come in," Thomas replied from across the room. I entered cautiously, trying to ignore Polly's glare at me.

"Who was that?" I questioned, gesturing with my head to the front door. I tried to keep my face blank of all emotion, trying to find out why he, of all people, would have been here.

"A father. Trying to play happy families," Polly laughed, causing me to freeze. Father? As in... No, that couldn't be right, I tried convincing myself. I must have imagined him; it must be a different man. Even if it was him, I suppose that would mean I'm in the clear if he wasn't here to expose me... 

"You okay, lad?" Thomas questioned, ceasing my thought process.

"Uh... Yes, sorry... Not had much luck with them either." I replied with a fake laugh, attempting to silence the confused stares from Polly and Thomas. 

"Pols just made some tea. Isn't that right, Polly?" Thomas changed the subject. His amused smirk didn't go unnoticed by his aunt. 

"I will pour you one cup. Only this once, as our guest has left. Can't have it going to waste". She replied, sending a slightly agitated glare to her nephew, knowing he was trying to make them get along. Forgetting my peculiar behaviour altogether, I mused.

"Thank you, Polly," I replied softly, meaning every word despite my and Polly's complicated relationship. Polly replied with a small sigh as she passed me a mug. Perhaps she had been too quick to judge the boy; after all, Polly pondered.

• • •

~ 3rd POV ~

"Just as things are starting to get good, Arthur, you go and do this?" Tommy questioned, amused at his brother's stupidity. Why would he attempt suicide now when things are starting to turn their way?

"He said something, Tommy, before he left," Arthur replied, confusion etched upon his face.

"Who?"

"Dad, he said: look after the boy that lurks about. I didn't catch on to who he meant at the time. I think he meant Harry, though. But I don't understand why? How would he even know our Harry?" 

"I don't know, Arthur; he probably was trying to get under your skin," Thomas replied with a sigh, deciding not to share his actual thoughts on the matter.

• • •

A knock on the door drew Harry's eyes up of the book and to Thomas, who was now standing in the doorway.

"May I come in?" He questioned, causing Harry to let out a little chuckle:

"It is your house, Mr Shelby." He smiled in response as he stepped into the small bedroom, perching at the end of the bed opposite Harry.

"My father seemed to know you", Thomas finally spoke out. Harry's breath hitched in her throat, unprepared for that ambush. Tommy never wasted any time getting right to the point.

"Uh... he did?" She queered, faking confusion as best she could.

"So you have never met him before?" He continued prying.

"Um, no, not that I'm aware of, Mr Shelby," Harry replied, lying through her teeth, keeping eye contact as best she could.

"Anything else I can help you with," She continued with an innocent smile, selling her act.