CHAPTER ONE- THE GHATS OF KASHI

DEV ANAND

I dipped my feets in the cold yet warmth filled holy water of Ganga as the sun started its descend from the morning sky. Somewhere along the life bringing Gangas the holy bells of puja rang signalling the start of most famous Ganga Aarti. The atmosphere filled with wonderful fragrance of camphor and flowers overflowing with the emotions of devotion and dedication. The cold air slightly blown across my face scattering the slightly overgrown hairs infront of my eyes. In distance one can clearly hear the holy lyrics and copper bells of Viswanath Temple. "Anand Guruji is calling you." I heard a voice disturb my meditation. I opened my eyes to look at the reddened sun near horizon. I rubbed my eyes and followed my way back to Ashram. My bare feets brushed over the washed away stairs of Kashi Ghat. The preys of dead burned in distance while the crows crackled in the darkening sky.

The wind continued to blow as I walked the short distance to Ashram through the mud road. Soon a open village like compound came into view. Nobody will say it hosts nearly forty children and twenty elderly apart from fifteen young helpers and one Guruji. Viswanath Ashram. I walked through the place towards the small hut where Guruji lived and taught us about holy scriptures. I toyed with the Rudraksha mala in my hand. Subconsciously counting them with holy mantra. A habit I can't get ride of and never want to. I reached the small wooden fence that enclosed the small hut and a large courtyard where Guruji took classes. "Ah. Anand. Come, come." The elderly man in his late eighties with pure white hairs and Rudraksha mala in one hand also known as Guru ji asked me to follow him towards the most sturdiest building in entire compound. The Shiva temple.

I followed him and walked upon the steps and floor that once supposed to me made up of most beautiful white marble but now withered like the steps of Kashi Ghat. Who knows which one is made first. My fingers lightly traced the round black marble pillars which had there lines chipped of due to rain. Guruji lighted the lamp near the glistening Shivling. Who knows how old it is. Guruji performed the regular puja with my assistance and lightened up all the lamps. In sometime as the night shrouded entire temple into darkness I sat infront of the Holy Linga reciting the holy verses from Bhagvat Gita. The silence encompassed entire Ashram. Aside from occasional crickets and wind blowing through the branches no one dared to break the clam silence.

One if paid enough attention can still hear the faint bells from the nearby temples. "I heard you are going on a educational trip Anand." Guru ji asked finally breaking the tranquility. I looked up from my manuscripts in the age old eyes filled with worry and pride. "Guru ji if you know why bother asking ?" I questioned back as he huffled and waved his hand as if dismissing my tone. If it was anyone else. They would have reprimanded and punished by reciting and writing verses infront of Linga for whole day and whole night if they didn't passed away with exhaustion first. Guru ji is held in very high esteem by everyone else. Why they will not. He is alone responsible for taking care of us all. The elderly are having proper hospital facilities due to him.

The orphans here have plenty to eat and drink, good and tranquil place to stay and study and if that is not enough each and every single one of us is in most sophisticated and prestigious educational institution money could afford. The orphans who went out of here take care of all expenses but if it isn't for Guruji who picked up the children left to die on the banks of Mother Ganga who would have. "You never went out before." He said like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum for not getting what he want. "I have train on morning three am. I will leave Ashram " I looked at the digital watch on my hand. "After six hours at two am." I said with a smile as Guruji still looked at me with a frown. "And yes I had packed all my things before hand." I said as he opened his mouth to ask. He leaned back as the bell for dinner rang. I bowed before the Linga and left for the large communal hall like hut with long line of linens spread into four rows each with ten plates infront of them along with glasses.