CHAPTER NINE - THE DEATH OF ROBERT SUSAN

DEVANAND

My doubts were correct I thought as I read the entry. They didn't buried Ophola instead they kept her coffin in dungeons. Maybe that's the reason I found myself lured to the ballroom and from there to that room. It must have belonged to Ophola but then why Robert's diary was doing there. I turned the pages to find the next clue. The next entries were how he and his mother have to travel to Bombay for his mother's treatment. I found a related entry after two and a half month later.

---------------------------------

December first,
1821

I met one of my colleague today. Sir Edward was a fellow at Royal society. But the facts I came to know today had shock me to core. He had called me at noon for lunch yesterday and discuss a unique drug that was discovered two years back but the effects it cause were dangerous. I had followed him to his home where the patient were kept. The man had chaotic pulse. His skin had turned pale, cold and pasty. He looked near the death door. "He won't live long." I gave my diagnoses. He had asked me to wait and come back tomorrow. Today I went and found that the person was sitting drinking tea and talking with Sir Edward. Flabbergasted by the discovery I began to doubt my eyes and sanity.

He asked me to sit and explained that the drug can show a person terminally ill. It was found in Carribbean islands and is used by alot if people to escape. The only fault is it had to be taken every twelve hours or else the patient will recover within six to eight hours. I don't know why but Ophola's image crossed infront of my eyes. Their pulse was almost identical. "After showing that they are at death door. They will use another drug which will close of nearly all of the body function. If one didn't took pulse they will never find of the person is dead or alive."

I paused and then bid him a quick farewell and ran out. Ophola's condition rang in my mind. I never checked her breathing. I contact my elder brother and told him about going to Rockwell Town. I hope it's not what I think.

-----------------------------------------

December twelth,
1821

Today I reached Rockwell I tried to go to castle but I came to know. Axel is dead. He died a month after I left. I looked at the mayor of town flabbergasted. He said Axel committed suicide. He forwarded me a letter. It was written in scratchy handwriting in red ink. It was not sealed but my name was written above. I was firm. Tommorow I will go to castle and bury Ophola in the church graveyard.

-----------------------------

Rest of the pages were blank. "It's look like Ophola was killed and her corpse was left to rot in the dungeon." Uncle said while I traced the letters written hundreds of years back. The paper somehow is still readable. I turned the pages. The rest were blank.

"But the suspicions deaths started centuries before Ophola's death. Maybe.... There should be something more here. I think Robert is one of the last people died here. But the main question is how he died ?" I questioned as I looked at Raghav uncle who looked deep in thought.

"I am going to look at the hotel plan." He said suddenly getting up. "If we can find the coffin we will be able to find the truth. You can stay with your friends for time being. And don't roam alone." He said as he briskly walked away.

Multiple doubts ran in my brain. How did Roberts died. I remembered that Tarun was telling about the history of Hotel. Maybe he can give more clues but first I have to return the necklace to Sandy.