CHAPTER TWO - START OF A JOURNEY

DEVANAND

I took a deep breath as I got down from the train after fourteen hour journey. The air felt crispy and refreshed. "Come on students faster." Ma'am said as we followed her to a open bus outside. The railway station was cold. One can see the snowy backdrops of mountains. People are fully docked into winter cloths. I can easily imagine the wisps of breath which will appear in air at morning. "Chai. Chai. Chai." A tea boy said as I brought over a cup of tea. The place is refreshing. Especially the mountains as the sun behind them scattering the orange glow around their peaks. It's just beautiful. I played my favorite playlist on my headphones and sat on the window seat. Looking at the passing trees some where yellowed and some covered in snow. Ma'am sat beside me. The bus drove through the lofty roads running in circles around the high hills. The sunlight was not that bright but bright enough to know that the scenery is gorgeous. I took out my phone and clicked few photos. The place really had me memorized. Soon we came to our destination.

"This is castle Ophola Da'Claire. Named after its last mistress who died of tuberculosis few hundred years back." The guide said as I frowned. He is telling us the history or trying to frighten us. "So back to this beauty." He said motioning towards the brown bricked castle which stood like a beacon in the most beautiful snow white mountainous background. The trees in its surroundings are covered with the same snow that crunched below our legs. The trees are naked with there branches curved over our heads. I can almost imagine the wonderful view it will provide in rainy or summer. This trees filled with birds and leaves instead of bone chilling ice and snow. I won't be suprised if the temperature is in single digit.

"Founded and built by Norman Rockwell in 1556 after he married the local kings daughter. They with all their five children, three in laws and seven grandchildren are said to be burnt alive in 1600. It was again abandoned till 1609 and brought by East India Company. But all the officers died here due to untold circumstances. After that it is brought over by Da'Claire family in 1701. No deaths from there on till hundred years. 1821 when Ophola Da'Claire died due to tuberculosis. But it is said that it's totally natural. But that's then the history got messy again. Her brother Alex Da'Claire died of untold circumstances. With the words I didn't killed her written on the wall. Same happened many years after. Roberts Susan. Who is said to be Alex's closest friend and a doctor by profession came here to stay at night and faced the same destiny. But there is a strange thing about it... "

"Tarun stop terrorizing children." A lady in white apron said as she opened the iron gate leading to the castles driveway. "So all he said if fake." I asked in curious tone. "Of course it is true but there isn't a single more case of anything out of order since then. So everything is okie dokey. The castle was converted into a hotel sometime in 1930 to 1940 and from there on it had hosted a lot of different distinguished guests of all categories so worry not gentlemen and ladies this place is as safe as home." The aged lady said as she opened the brown door of the castle. Everyone hurried inside to get ride of the cold. I gazed at the well decorated foyer and stepped inside the door closed behind me.

Entire receiving foyer is docked in warm colours and furnished with yellow lights. The bags are taken straight to our rooms as we sat on the sofas drinking the hot cocoa drink the waiters handed us. I felt as if something is trying to get me. A forgein presence trying to leach on me I quickly looked at my surroundings. "Anand you okay." Dhruv asked I looked at him. "Why ?" I asked counting the Rudraksha in my hands. "You appeared a little haggard few seconds ago." He replied nonchalantly and leaned back. I shrugged and leaned back against the red high back chair. Observing the surroundings like a hawk. "So what about a castle tour guys." The tourist guide Tarun said as we all got up and followed him.

To say rich will be a understatement. The entire place is docked with antiques over the hundred years old. Which raised many doubts such a important and historical castle yet they allowed students like us for a educational trip. But soon the doubts cleared as we saw many other guests mingling in other wings which are more sophisticated than ours. We can say this is more like a advertisement trip for the hotel than a educational trip for us. Soon our tour came to most important part of the castle the portrait room. Located here are the portraits of nearly all of owners in past. We crowded around a potrait of young lady who appeared to be in her early twenties with brown hair and emerald eyes. "She is the last owner. Ophola Da'Claire." Tarun said sophisticatedly as all talked about it.