Chapter 38

EMMA

I'm sitting at Finn's desk at MMR, looking through some paperwork he asked me to sort out, when I hear a shrill scream down the halls. I immediately get up and look around from the office door to see what's going on.

"Sem?" My voice echoes down the hall as I walk through it. I pass Bjorn and Stefan's office, which is empty. I slowly walk further into the hallway, but then see a pool of blood slowly spread across the floor from Sem's office and my breath catches in my throat.

"There you are." I look up and see Vincent step over the blood, smiling at me. "You really thought I would let you leave just like that?"

My eyes dart to the knife in his hand, blood dripping to the floor on top of blonde locks. I don't see her body hidden around the corner, but there's enough blood to know she isn't moving. Now it's my scream that fills the hall.

Before Vincent grabs me, I run back to Finn's office and slam the door shut, locking it. With trembling hands I take my phone from my pocket to call Finn.

I gasp loudly when I hear a bang on the door. "Open the door, Emma." Vincent says, "I just want to talk."

I shoot up in bed, gasping for air that doesn't seem to reach my lungs. I push the invisible block of concrete off my chest and look for my phone.

I try to get out of bed with the phone in my sweaty hand, but my body feels so heavy and my legs so weak that I immediately fall to the floor with my back against the wall.

"Miss me already, darling?" I hear Finn on the other end of the line. "I left just about an hour ago."

My eyes dart to the clock on the wall without registering it's 9 in the morning.

"Emma... Are you there?" He asks.

I can't answer. The words I scream in my head get stuck in my throat and I can't get them out. Vincent is here! Help me, help me, help me.

"Emma, ​​what's wrong?" He asks more concerned now.

I hear him, but my breathing drowns out his words, diluting the background noises at his end of the line. The revving of motorcycles makes me vaguely realise he's at MMR.

"I'm on my way."

No. I want to say. I'm okay.

But I'm not. My hands are shaking and my cheeks are so wet that my phone slips and falls on the ground. I don't bother picking it up. I'm aware enough of my surroundings to crawl to the bedroom door and lock it.

I press myself against the wall right next to it and my mind shoots back to a night two years ago. One I had completely blocked from my mind.

That night Vincent and I had a fight after he accused me of cheating. I woke up from a presence next to me and slowly opened my eyes, seeing Vincent stand beside the bed with a knife in his hand. He looked down at me angrily.  I stopped breathing, and couldn't feel my heartbeat anymore. I was in such panic, but I acted like it left me cold and I turned my back to him, forcing myself to close my eyes again.
Thank God he walked away. I wondered the next day what would have happened if I reacted to him. Would he have stabbed me if I got mad or showed any type of emotion at that moment? The day after that I just forgot. I fucking forgot. Again. I'm so stupid. I closed my eyes for knowing how dangerous he actually is. I closed my eyes to his abuse and now it hits me all at once.

I hear a loud bang downstairs that sounds like the front door slamming against the wall. I quickly get up and run to the bedside table, grabbing a large candle holder.