Chapter 48

FINN

I stop my car and look through the front window to the house my GPS led me to. It's a two story home in the middle of the woods. The house is surrounded by a lake and the only entrance is a bridge my car barely fits on.

My eyes dart to the one that's parked next to the house and I immediately recognize Vincent's BMW.

I wasn't sure the call came from Emma. At least not until I heard her scream to someone to stay away from her, but seeing his car parked next to the house confirms everything. With my blood boiling, I put my car in park-mode in the middle of the bridge to block the way in case Vincent gets the dumb idea to try and escape from me.

I grab my gun from the passenger seat, my body tense from the thoughts of what Vincent might be doing to her, or might have done already...

When I get out of my car, the Burrows brothers do the same from theirs and walk up to me and load their guns, ready to back me up. I know I don't have to remember them not to kill him at first sight. They know my ways after all these years of working for me.

We walk to the house in silence and make sure our steps are inaudible. We stop next to a window and I peek through it to check if there's anyone in the living room. All the lights are on and I let my eyes scan the area as much as I can from my spot outside, but I see nothing out of the ordinary.

The place is filled with luxurious bullshit, like I didn't expect that already. I looked up the address before we came here. It's one of the accommodations of Vincent's father. He's an idiot for taking her to a place so obvious, but I've never been more grateful. Although I'll probably have to burn the house to the ground after I'm done here.

"Let's go." I whisper and nod to the front door.

Although Rush cracks the code of the door within minutes, I'm impatient to get inside. I know I can't let the urge to get to her win from thinking straight, it's the first thing Felix taught me. When someone you love has been taken, your brother for example, don't rush in like a lunatic because then both of you will be dead. Think and be smart.

Hearing a beep and seeing the red dot of the security system turn green, I blow out a heavy breath. He opens the door too slowly, but I know it's necessary to keep quiet and keep the element of surprise on our side.

One quiet step before the other we enter the house. I sign them to check the living room while I check upstairs. With my gun ready and my heart beating in my throat I walk up, feeling more impatient with every step I take. I need to find her.

Not wanting to waste any more time I rush through, sweeping a bathroom and a small bedroom, until there's only one room left. The door is open and the lights are on, so I walk in gun first and stop mid movement taking in the havoc.

I feel my heart drop to my stomach when I see blood, everywhere.

The thought that it might be Emma's blood crosses my mind, but then I see large black boots stick out from behind the bed. I walk around the bed only to find a dead man on the ground.

I take in the foot prints of dried blood that lead from the corpse to the wall and then notice a phone underneath the drawer. My guess is that Emma took his phone after killing him and hid it so we would stay connected long enough for me to trace the call.