Chapter 1 - New faces

The earpiece in your ear crackled as Rebel and Knucks talked through it. You were called onto the mission a few minutes ago and had no idea what you were suppose to be doing, never mind why you were crawling through the tight vents of the Chaos Council's base. One second you were helping resistance members with their wounds and the next you were shoved into a dusty vent.

Your nose itched and burn with the sensation to sneeze. Placing a finger on the intercom, you decided to interrupt the non-official couples argument of who's plan is better.

"Why are we here again? Like what are we doing," you whispered, struggling to take a tight turn as Rebel had instructed.

"We are saving an important possible member of the resistance. A blue hedgehog," She answered calmly, making her way through her own set of vents.

"A what? and why?"

"A hedgehog. Pointing things like Knucks but cleaner," she knowingly teased the echidna.

"Oi! I am as clean as... something clean," he snapped back through the intercom. You could practically feel the heat radiating from his body travel through the connected vents.

You lightly chuckled, "Okay, but why? From the sounds of it they aren't with or against us. How can we trust 'em," you quizzed. You felt your tail get stuck in a gap of the vent, and felt the fur tear off as you pulled your tail free.

"Because from the sounds of it on record, he doesn't like the Chaos Council," She answered.

"But you don't know that for sure?"

"Nope," Knucks commented instantly.

"Oh... cool, cool. Sooo, why am I here. I thought that after last time I was grounded from going on missions for a month," you voiced as you remembered the head injury you sustained from a failed prison break. You can still feel Rusty Rose's claws dig into your skin. You shivered.

"Its almost the end of the month, and besides, I needed more brains than brawns," Rebel simply remarked.

"I know your doing this to make me mad Rebel," Knucks grumbled.

Giggling to yourself, you continued to crawl through the tight space. Turning another painful corner, you began to hear loud voices, and see light shine from a grate. Shuffling forward, you gazed between the grate lines. You could see the Chaos Council and what appeared to be a blue hedgehog? At least you thought so, he was spikey like Knucks and definitely more clean, so it was your closes match to Rebels description.

"Everyone able to see the room," Rebels voice radioed in. Both you and Knucks confirmed.

"Perfect. The plan is simple. I go in and save the hedgehog from the extractor. And before you ask what that is Knucks, it the machine right in front of Blue's face. Then Knucks, you come in after they send their eggforcers out, destroying some as you emerge. Once I give the code word one hundred percent, me and Knucks charge at Rusty. Leading her to put her attention on us. That's when you come in (Y/N). You jump into action and try to keep Rusty off the hedgehog. Any objections," she finished, puffing for air as she finished. Both you and Knucks kept quite in silent agreement to Rebel's plan.

"Good. Now lets do this team."

You nodded as Rebel gave the final orders. Instantly, you moved into position. Your metal arm dug into the edge of the railing on the giant metal extractor that moved closer and closer to the blue hedgehog. Keeping hidden in the shadows, claw dug into the metal exterior. A smile spread on your face with eyes lit in excitement as you watched Rebel fly in from a blind spot.

"See ya buddy," the blue hedgehog sadly whispered, greed eyes shining with hidden tears. Following his gaze, your eyes were met with an orange yellow male fox. His tail surrounded by some sort of mechanical arms that formed a cage around his tail. The tips of his ears held tufts of fur that were a slight tint of brown, his bangs lifted straight up. But what caught your attention the most was his eyes. The colour was a lovely sky blue... well as close to sky blue as you could imagine from the stories you have been told.