| chapter nineteen |

"Get on the bed!"

"Get on the bed!"

Rosalie's eyelids lowered flirtily at my words, "Non! not like that, Ma Chèri, not that I'm saying no," a nervous laugh tugged from me as my soulmate watched on in amusement.

I stood in the doorway of our room, holding a tray awkwardly as I demanded my love get onto the bed.

"You know we don't eat, babe," Rosalie giggled as I rolled my eyes, remembering when I said those words to Alice and Esme when they were helping set up the date that is forbidden to speak about again.

Nodding my head towards the bed, I was pleased when my mate actually listened. Usually, I was the one following her lead. "It's a good thing I don't have food then."

Placing the tray upon her lap, I held my anxiety close, watching as her eyes found the single long-stemmed red rose. "I was told a single long-stemmed rose imparts a message of simplicity, such as 'I love you deeply.'

I watched as Rosalie smiled softly, taking the rose from the thin glass vase that Esme had let me borrow, and brought it to her nose, smelling it delicately.

Seeing her looking so serene and carefree almost made me feel calm. Jasper had been taking my emotions so much lately that I sometimes forgot how anxiety felt.

The small square box under the hand-sealed envelope set me on edge the most. I scoured my brain for hours thinking of the best present I could get my Rose, and this was what I could think of.

I watched her amber eyes light up, seeing my cursive on the paper. Speaking English was difficult for me at first, but learning to write the language was a hurdle that I was unaware of until I met the Cullens.

I've never needed to write before, ever. Even back in France, writing wasn't something I did, maybe in school, but with the burden of looking after my family, I only attended school a little.

As Rosalie picked up the envelope, her eyes lit up as she uncovered the box underneath. "Joyeux anniversaire, mon ange," I say lovingly, watching her finger trace over the box.

"You didn't have to buy me anything," Rosalie whispered, but I could see the venom tears building in her eyes. Picking up the box in one hand, I carefully moved the tray off our bed with the other, not to tip the rose.

Sitting on the bed with Rosalie, I lifted up my hand where the box was now placed directly in the middle of my palm. Giving Rosalie an impish grin "I didn't." I motioned to the box with the tip of my head.

Her brows furrowed as she finally took the small box from my hand and delicately unwrapping it. My hours of practicing that Lee and Kameron had drilled into my head came in handy.

I heard her gasp as she lifted the lid and eyed me in worry. "Is this? Are you?" Alice warned me that Rose might get the wrong idea, to which I then fretted about what I was giving her.