| chapter twenty |

My head turned in shock, hearing and seeing someone I had been missing greatly

My head turned in shock, hearing and seeing someone I had been missing greatly. "Nathaniel!" I call out, racing over to the British vampire and pulling him close.

I faintly heard the growl coming from my soulmate, but I was too happy to understand why she was upset.

"Hello darling," He greeted with a broad smile of his own, "Color me surprised when I go to see my closest friend only to find that she's moved to a soggy, moss-filled pit," Nathaniel jested motioning to the wooded Washington plains.

Nathaniel pulls back from me, eyes narrowing as his smile drops. "What's happened to your eyes, love?" frowning, glancing over my shoulder at the many eyes watching us.

None of them seemed very friendly looking right now, although I knew differently. I didn't want Nate to think the worst of them.

"Nathaniel, these are the Cullen's-" I begin motioning to my new family, who still hasn't made any movement of introducing themselves except for Carlisle and Esme, who both bore polite smiles as the blond wrapped his arm around his wife's waist.

I then smiled at Rosalie, "And this is my beautiful mate, Rosalie" The amount of love in my voice was extremely noticeable, and Rosalie's mouth turned up the slightest at the edges.

Nathaniel glanced at me from the corner of my eye; he didn't seem as happy as I thought he would be for me.

"Your mate?" He said as if I was unsure about my statement. He then gave Rosalie and the Cullens a charming smile. "It's nice to meet you all; obviously, I guess I'm just in shock that my Geneviève would be the type to settle down."

Rolling my eyes, I knew he was jesting but also that Rosalie would probably take it in a negative light. Nathaniel was my oldest friend, the one who found me after I burned down my old town, and he always came to visit after Henry had taken me in.

Not that any of my old Coven liked him, Nathaniel liked to say the Von-Carmichaels had the same stick-up ass as the rest of the Americans he'd met.

I guess I was the only one he really liked; even Lee and Kameron, who were friends with everyone, disliked Nate.

He did have a patronizing air about him, and everything sounded more scathing when it came from his British accent.

"Rude," I laughed, pushing him and rolling my eyes before explaining to him, "The Cullens are vegetarians. They live on animal blood only". I internally shivered at the statement, still not totally used to the taste.

Edward gave a small chuckle, and I narrowed my eyes at him with a small warning, "Stay out of my head, Eddie."

Nate eyes Edward in alarm "A mind reader?" He says, but in knowing him for so long, I frown at the bite in his tone. I gave him a nod as he cracked another grin before turning to me. "Why don't we go for a walk? You know plenty of things to catch up on".