Chapter 15

LUBANZI

Chapter 15

𝐀𝐅𝐄𝐙𝐈𝐖𝐄

Kaya is not going to school today because she's not feeling well. She's on her period and every first day of her menstrual period she gets heavy flow and painful period pains. I've took her to doctors and they said it's something that's going to get better with time. I do hope so because Kaya started being on her period few months back.

Today is the first day of the court case. I have everything I need in my bag so I head to the door when I hear a knock.

I open the door and there's a young boy holding a plastic bag of goodies.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm Senzo. You must be Afeziwe right?" I nod skeptically at this nervous looking boy.

"I'm Kaya's friend. She told me that she won't come to school because she's not feeling well so I thought of checking up on her before I go to school." That's sweet. He's such a nice boy.

"She's inside you can go in but no funny business with my little sister. I have a gun young boy."

"I won't do anything to her." He sounds genuine. I smile at him and tap his shoulder.

"Good." I push him in before I close the door and head to the garage. I get inside my car and start driving out.

There's a car parked outside our home. I drive to it.

"Can I help you?" I ask the man wearing black clothes who's leaning on the car.

"Oh, I'm Senzo Mthombeni's driver,Sipho."

"I'm Afeziwe."

"Nice to meet you miss." I nod before I start driving to court.

"Your majesty,my client here was not part of the heist. He received a call from Mr Gumbi asking him to pick him up. As friends,my client saw nothing wrong with that so he left his brother's club and went to the complex. When he got there,he found his friend wounded and he tried to take him to the hospital but then the police showed up and wrongfully arrested him because of being close to the suspect."

"Objection my lord!" The barking dog with no bite lawyer stood up objecting my statement.

"Objection overruled!" My cute magistrate dismissed the objection.

"Miss Jali,do you have proof of what you're saying?"

"Yes my lord. I'm asking for permission to play the video of the footage in front of the florist shop where everything took place." The magistrate nodded and I gave the flash drive to the courtroom deputy.

They played the video on the huge flat screen attached to the wall.

Everything played out the same way but when it came to Lubanzi picking up the briefcase,a shadow overcame him and his face wasn't clear.

"With this footage my lord,it clearly shows that the police missed some information. There was a third person involved in this but was he or she arrested? No. The main suspect succumbed to his injuries and now my client must be the scapegoat? Definitely not. There's no proof pointing him to being involved in this heist other than him helping his friend get inside the car. Anyone would have done that for their beloved friend. I rest my case." I sat down. I looked at Liyema and he was sitting next to Amber and they both smiled at me.

"Due to insufficient evidence pointing to Liyema Dalindyebo as an accomplice to Andile Gumbi,the court find him not guilty of robbery. But he have to pay a fine of R5,000 for helping a criminal. Court is adjourned."

"All rise in court." We all stood up and headed to the door.

Liyema come to me with a smile and he hugs me.

"Thank you." He says as he let go of me.

"You're welcome. I'm surprised your brother didn't come to support you." I've last seen Lubanzi last week when he came to my workplace to tell me not to mess with him. And to be honest,I miss him. I was just busy with the case to check him.

"He didn't tell you?" Liyema frowns.

"Tell me what?" I ask him confused.

"He went to London on a conference." Oh. Of course he wouldn't have told me because we are not friends but it doesn't mean that it doesn't sting.

"Okay. Guess I'll see him when he comes back." I head to my car. The media people are outside waiting for my statement. I sigh. Let me get this over with.

I fake a smile and answer all their questions then go to my car. My twin sister knocks on my window. I open the window.

"What?"

"Are you okay?" She's concerned but I hate people who pity me. It's not like I'm heartbroken and stuff.

"Why wouldn't I be okay Amber?"

"Because Lubanzi left without telling you."

"He's not my boyfriend. He can do whatever he likes with his life. He can even go drown in a pool for all I care." I close my window and Amber removes her hands.

"Fúck you Lubanzi. I hate you. The day I meet you again, I'm going to kick you in the balls for not leaving my mind."

I start driving home. I pass by the mall and buy dark chocolate for Kaya.

When I reach home, she's curled on the couch sleeping. I sit next to her and shake her.

"Baby…are you okay?" She opens her eyes and meet mine.

"Already back from work?" I nod.

"Did you win?"

"Have I ever lost Kaya?" I grin and she rolls her eyes.

"You once lost Afe. I think it was twice." She place her head on my lap and I brush her huge afro. I also have an afro but lately I've been putting on weaves.

"I was bullied into losing."

"Yeah, yeah."

"I brought you a chocolate." I give her the chocolate.

"Thank you mother hen."

"So Senzo hmm?"

"No…it's not what you think. He's still a jerk who is trying to charm me."

"Are you charmed?"

"No!" She yells and I laugh at her.