Chapter 4: I Don't Wanna Fight

Jude

I'm so over this.

This constant power struggle between Quentin and I. Ever since we discovered that we're both in contention for the Alpha position, his behavior shifted in such a way that he only sees me as an opponent.

We were so close growing up. Twin boys who did everything together. I hate that our relationship has turned into an endless competition.

Ironically, I don't even care about being Alpha.

I know it's my birthright or whatever, but this is not the throne of England. I don't really care so much about leading our pack.

Of course, I do care about our pack and what happens to it. But not in the sense that I want to lead more than twenty thousand people.

I don't need the hassle, to be honest. Quentin can have it for all I care. I just wish he stopped seeing me as the enemy.

He is my only brother. There is no other sibling after my mother's difficult childbirth. It is said that after I was born, the doctors spent almost an hour trying to get my brother out. Surgery was necessary, my mother almost died.

Unfortunately, a hysterectomy had to be performed to get the bleeding under control, therefore she can't have any more children.

My father insists on this silly confrontation between his sons to determine who's gonna be the next Alpha.

Honestly, I'm dreading this like an omega fears their first heat. Not because I'm scared of my brother - far from it, actually - but I genuinely don't see the upside in this conflict.

Though my father won't let me get away from it, as far as I'm concerned, my brother can be the next Alpha. I'm much more excited about my college prospects and getting the hell away from Ruckerford Falls.

I would kill to live in Austin or one of the bigger cities. Maybe even New York or the West Coast. The further the better.

I'm counting out the days until high school ends, though I have the entire senior year to look forward to. Which I don't, by the way.

High school in a small town wasn't built for people like me. And I don't mean werewolves.🙄

The entertainment options are very limited, so I have to debase myself by going to the waterfalls to cool down. The temperature is hot and the river is very nice.

The problem for me is the people who crowd the shore in search of the same thing, the cool kids of school.

You'd think being the Alpha's son would warrant me a higher social status, but my brother casts such a huge shadow as the school prince that it leaves little room for me to enjoy any privilege.

In fact, I'm privileged just for not being bullied or picked on. Not that Quentin doesn't tease me at school, he does. But I don't let him get away with it.

We're evenly matched in just about everything from height to strength. He can't take on me on his own, though I'm sure that brunette devil Dragomir would love to help.

Fucking teenagers. I hate his whole entourage of enablers who taunt people at will and rule the school like somehow they're better than anyone else.

I'm so over this, I almost wish I was homeschooled. But then again, how would I ever find my soulmate when I turn 18?

He's not gonna knock at my door looking for me. That's not how it works. Though I'd love for that to happen.

Oh by the way, the only real difference between Quentin and I is our sexuality. While he drools over Cassandra like a love sick puppy, I'm yet to find my knight in shining armor.