Chapter 06

Few hours later, the morning brightened Cloud Mountain Palace washing it with bright and glimmering golden sun rays, that penetrated through the rather weak sheet of floating mist.

Lord Yuxun's death caused a considerable commotion in the Palace. Fortunately it was the retired former Head of the Academy. If he had been still at work and faced the mishap, it would have been hard to find a capable one as him.

The entire Palace was hung with white flags and curtains. And the funeral rituals were carried out silently.

Meanwhile, under Lord Rumeng's orders, the whole family of Lord Hongyun was sent to jail to be interrogated. Not even Lord Hongyun's four years old daughter was spared.

The Imperial Physician entered into the Imperial Chamber of the Emperor. He was confused. The Emperor was very healthy and wasn't someone who got easily injured or affected by any kind of disease. But what now?

The Emperor was clad in his usual Dragon Robe of silken black and golden. He was sitting patiently by the bedside with the sleeping Crown Prince's calm and peaceful face upon his lap. He was caressing his son's fluffy head with care though his frosty face was cold.

"Greetings, Your Highness! This lowly servant is at Your Majesty's service!" The old man bowed to the Emperor.

The Emperor nodded slightly, and waved his hand to the maids and eunuchs who stood by his side. They withdrew in silence except for Eunuch Zhu.

The Emperor simply stretched out his hand to the doctor. "Check the pulse and tell Zhen. How many days Zhen can live?"

He asked it casually.

But sweat drooped down the old man's forehead. He felled onto his knees at once. "Your Majesty's dragon body is very healthy!"

The Emperor said nothing. He did not withdraw his hand either. The meaning was clear. The old man clarified the matter over Head Eunuch's deathly glare which meant to say do it or I kill you!

The doctor unlocked his wooden box, took a clean silvery handkerchief and placed it upon the Emperor's wrist. He pressed his fingertips with care and observed the pulse.

The extremely chaotic pulse of the Emperor drew the old man's face pale.

"Your Majesty!" He said in a sort of strangled whisper."poison ... Poison..."

"Xia Mingyu." The Emperor replied calmly.

The old man's scalp went numb. Xia Mingyu? That was the most deadly poison that had no cure at all. And yet the Emperor to say those words so casually?

Sweat drooped down his back despite the coldness of the morning. His hands trembled.

The Emperor raised his piercing eyes to look at the man on knees. "Zhen knows that you don't have the cure for Xia Mingyu." He said grimly. "Zhen only asked how long Zhen can live and what counter effects will Zhen have to suffer."

"Your Majesty!" The old man shuddered. "If the antidote is not taken within seven days, Your Majesty will ... will ..."

"Will what?" The Emperor asked with patience. "Zhen wants to know the truth whatever it is. Will Zhen die within seven days?"

The old man prostrated before the Emperor, horrified. "Your Majesty is the son of heavens. Your Majesty's life is so precious! It won't vanish that easily. But ... if the antidote is not taken within seven days, Your Majesty will loose your cultivation!"

Eunuch Zhu gasped in shock.

The little prince also stirred in his sleep as if menaced by the words.

The Emperor caressed the cute face upon his lap and listened to the old man as if he was listening to usual court matters. "And?"